Brockport Bill

PTO spinning ???

Brockport Bill

I have a WH that after the engine is turned off the pto contines to spin -- takes 10-15 seconds then stops? Other WH I have had do not do that..... Whats that mean? thanks

squonk

Do you have the PTO brake on the tractor? Metal arm extending over the PTO bell in this pic.

1605.jpg.1c5b9ab6741e9ea04f32521ce68cb12c.jpg

• Like 4

Brockport Bill

yes, its a 314h

Brockport Bill

its 1995 model

Achto

The PTO brake probably needs to be adjusted. It should rub when the PTO is disengaged.

• Like 2

pfrederi

You need to adjust the PTO brake. 

Engage clutch loosen the two 1/4" bolts holding the brake Put a .012 feeler gauge between brake pad and PTO pulley. Hold the brake pad against feeler gauge and tighten the two bolts.

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 5

Jeff-C175

I recently discovered something on my machine.

My PTO brake never has worked.  I recently discovered why.

The stub axle has snap rings both inside and outside the bearing.  The function of the outside ring is obvious but the inner one not so much.

There's also a snap ring holding the bearing into the PTO bell.

When one engages the PTO, the stub axle is pushed inward and the clutch is engaged.

When the PTO is DISengaged the hoop PULLS the PTO bell OUT against the brake pad.

If either the INNER stub axle snap ring, or the snap ring holding the bearing into the bell is missing, the brake won't work properly.

In my case, the snap ring holding the bearing into the bell was missing.  When the PTO was disengaged the bearing was sliding out of the bell and not pulling the bell against the brake pad.  The reason that the snap ring was missing and not detected sooner is because the previous owner had neglected repairing some damage to the assembly that had somehow ground the end of the PTO bell down.  It was ground down very smoothly and not apparent that it was actually damaged. Until I looked carefully at the parts diagrams was I even aware that the snap ring was missing!  There's not even a groove to install the snap ring for the bearing any longer!  So, I just run without a PTO brake.  No kids or pets around, and I just sit and wait for it to stop spinning before I dismount.  Someday maybe I'll replace the bell... or maybe not.

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 3

peter lena

@Brockport Bill  good opportunity on that pto brake adjustment , ever grease the inner pto needle bearing ,  inside the drive cone ? you are right there , back off the belt tension , unclip the safety pin at swing bar engagement point , swing bar out of the way , remove belt , and slide off bearing cone . wipe out existing grease , lightly refill with a hi temp anti sling grease , lucas xtra heavy duty chassis grease , walmart $ 5 , made for hi temp drives , simple service, also give any related linkage some lubrication love , if you want to, just my experience , pete  

• Like 3

ebinmaine

Does it matter as far as wear and tear on any particular part of the engine or PTO if you just leave the PTO engaged all the time?

• Like 1

roadapples

I have 3 1974 tractors. None have that brake and they don't keep spinning :scratchead:

• Like 1

wallfish
2 minutes ago, roadapples said:

I have 3 1974 tractors. None have that brake and they don't keep spinning :scratchead:

Is there an attachment and belt connected to them? They freewheel if nothing is attached and the brake isn't there or working properly. Maybe those early ones are different but I thought they all had those little brakes. :dunno:

• Like 2

roadapples

I've driven them without a deck. None had it when I bought them...

Never drove the loader tractor without the belt on the pump..

Edited by roadapples
  • Like 1

pfrederi

No brakes on the older units.  The rod does seem to move the disc out further from the drive pulley than newer ones.  Some spin sometimes if there is no belt on.  If it is plow tractor I remove the PTO bell.

IMG_0327.JPG

• Like 3

Handy Don
2 hours ago, peter lena said:

wipe out existing grease , lightly refill with a hi temp anti sling grease

The maintenance manual is clear on this spot. Grease VERY LIGHTLY. Not much more than a film on the roller bearing and race.

Any extra grease that leaves this bearing will be thrust outward onto the clutch friction surface, corrupting it.

• Like 5

Brockport Bill

thanks for all the awesome insights - i have never done anything with a pto -- reagrding disassembly etc -- so even the vocabulary of its components is new to me  - so I will use your wisdom and check the diagrams and then disect --- hopefully figure it out -- your details and specifics are tremendous - I know it takes time to write out all those steps so I am grateful - thanks - I hope to get at it in coming days -- its a 314h I got for my daughter :) ( and 8 yr old grandsons to learn WH ) so want it to be in proper condition before i turn it over to them.

• Excellent 1

peter lena

@Brockport Bill  that's what i do , very light on that grease, just about anything that i have had an issue with , i corrected it and detailed it to make it work easier , found that added washers firm up sloppy linkage joints , add grease to that and eliminate bind areas , and the linkage work with out effort. that's just me , but after being a horse owner for almost 40 years , i think that i have some insight into a reliable working unit , pete

• Like 2

wallfish
1 hour ago, Brockport Bill said:

details and specifics

This is a close up of what that brake looks like for the PTO which is "probably" still on your machine.. Adjust as suggested above

1605.jpg.1c5b9ab6741e9ea04f32521ce68cb12c.jpg.d0e725a18fb09f9f6915056b6d9d3e58.jpg

• Like 3

oldlineman

The friction material on the brake could be worn down and need replaced just another thought. Bob

Maxwell-8

Great timing, I just forget the do this on 'Amy' my C-175!

Thanks!