Ifixoldjunk

Bolens 1050

Ifixoldjunk

954857DD-414F-4F02-9032-FCB53A45443B.jpeg.332f6d53fc8dedfd1e8c545a3a37d4a3.jpeg

I know we usually like “red” tractors here, so I put my red plow on.

anyways, this tractor got me into this whole hobby. Pretty much every rusted old tractor that followed me home can be blamed on this thing here.

I got it off a close family friend who bought it new in 68, and only ever used it for plowing. It came from a dealership right around the corner from my house as well. It’s always been well taken care of. 
I figured it’s about time to service it again so I’m gonna get some 10w30 in its motor for winter time. And maybe toss a new spark plug it’s way. The issue is I can’t find the torque spec for the spark plug anywhere. I know “hand tight” and then “snugged” usually does the trick but I’d like to do it right. Does anyone happen to have the owners manual handy? 

• Like 3

Ifixoldjunk

D1CFAE63-E245-4A5D-BD7B-DECCFD0B2129.jpeg.36a1fce342cc79e92919b8d208094e78.jpegThe guy who used to own it made some homemade solid lead weights for plowing. At this point I just leave them on all year round. 80lbs a piece is too much to be taking on and off constantly. And the nice “regal red” paint goes nicely with the patina. 
The thing that surprises me the most though about these bolens is they feel so much heftier than all the wheel horses I’ve tinkered with. The horses are far easier to work on, but I feel like the 1050 would pull a wheel horse around like nothing.

Edited by Ifixoldjunk
  • Like 2

DennisThornton

I have one and I like it a lot, but I love my Wheel Horses.   Have the front blade and a deck.  Only used the blade.  My old WH has a MUCH more refined blade control!

• Like 1

Maxwell-8
9 hours ago, Ifixoldjunk said:

The horses are far easier to work on, but I feel like the 1050 would pull a wheel horse around like nothing.

What is the weight of a bolens without wheel weights?

in pulling, most off it comes down to weight

bds1984

I think a 1050 is around 650 pounds without the wheel weights which puts it in the upper range of a 14/16HP C series.  With those tires and weights on that 1050, I am willing to bet a dollar she'll pull/push much more that one would expect.   I have 23-8.50R12 ags on my 520H that are loaded and weights on each side that pulls and pushes way more than it probably should.   

As far as spark plug torque, I would safely assume that tighten by hand and then a 1/4 turn max with a wrench if it is a plug with a washer/gasket on it.  I've never worked on a Wisconsin, but that method has served me well with the hundreds of Kohlers and Briggs I've worked on over the decades.  

• Like 1

Ifixoldjunk
On 10/18/2021 at 3:47 AM, Maxwell-8 said:

What is the weight of a bolens without wheel weights?

in pulling, most off it comes down to weight

I believe the bolens weighs in around 650. It actually almost weighs the same as a wheel horse I believe🤔

Ifixoldjunk
On 10/18/2021 at 2:37 PM, bds1984 said:

I think a 1050 is around 650 pounds without the wheel weights which puts it in the upper range of a 14/16HP C series.  With those tires and weights on that 1050, I am willing to bet a dollar she'll pull/push much more that one would expect.   I have 23-8.50R12 ags on my 520H that are loaded and weights on each side that pulls and pushes way more than it probably should.   

Yeah, I really haven’t had anything the 1050 couldn’t move. Now I just gotta find a 520 to test it against😅