Horse Newbie

1984 Work Horse GT-1600 REFRESH

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat: Seems to be trending here lately.

• Like 4

ebinmaine
32 minutes ago, Stormin said:

Catching up!! He'll be well past and up and running long before Colossus. :hide:

Good grief I should certainly hope so!

• Haha 3

Horse Newbie

Just wondering… why does it seem like we see a LOT / MOST of the Work Horses have a problem with surface rust ?
Any ideas why ?

The reason I ask is I’m getting closer to painting my 1984 Work Horse GT-1600.3D934BF8-2831-44A1-ACBB-8F96C0B96CE4.png.9afbf7e9790aa00a611d518a7233994f.png

TJ5208
Just now, Horse Newbie said:

Just wondering… why does it seem like we see a LOT / MOST of the Work Horses have a problem with surface rust ?
Any ideas why ?

The reason I ask is I’m getting closer to painting my 1984 Work Horse GT-1600.3D934BF8-2831-44A1-ACBB-8F96C0B96CE4.png.9afbf7e9790aa00a611d518a7233994f.png

Because people neglect them and leave them sitting outside.

• Sad 1

Horse Newbie

Yesterday while I was working on the Work Horse, I made up a little metal clip to slide down on the clutch safety switch…

It rattled around in the hole and I was told by someone on here that it needed to be snug.

72E9FF2E-C9E5-4F05-BAD1-DDDA9530F60E.jpeg

• Like 4

Lee1977

If you can't get the steering wheel line up. most likely the triangle was off center when it was welded. We have seen them way off, the welded must have came in on Monday with a hang-over.

• Like 1

Horse Newbie
33 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

If you can't get the steering wheel line up. most likely the triangle was off center when it was welded. We have seen them way off, the welded must have came in on Monday with a hang-over.

I thought I seen this on post 822…

Horse Newbie

Any ideas why ?

Horse Newbie

So I was gonna put a primer bulb on the fuel line on the 1994 520H…

have any of you guys heard of one being needed on the twin Briggs on the Work Horse ?…

if so, I’d better order two.

ebinmaine
4 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

Work Horses.. surface rust ?
Any ideas why ?

I can't be sure but I can offer a couple educated guesses. 

1. That paint was applied during a time period of gummint mandated change in the industry. LOTS of manufacturers of many different things were having the same issues. 

2. Perhaps the demographic that predominantly purchased the price competitive Work Horses was more likely or less able to properly cover their equipment. 

4 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

have any of you guys heard of one being needed on the twin Briggs on the Work Horse ?…

if so, I’d better order two

Haven't specifically heard of the B & S having the same tendencies but you're there. IMHO.... Order two bulbs and be happy it got done on both tractors. 

FYI. Search carefully and you may find the price is discounted on some fleabay vendors. It may be prudent to buy more than two and keep spares for future use or the next WH project.  

• Like 2

kpinnc
6 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

I use primer bulbs on anything with the fuel tank under the seat. Briggs, Kohler, Onan makes no difference. 

Pete also has posted a one way check valve that he says works well. 

• Like 3

kpinnc
7 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

I saw one that was pushed out in front of a mower shop years ago in excellent condition. No awning, no cover, nothing. Owner said it wasn't for sale.

5 years later it was still out there, not in such good shape anymore. About like your picture with four flat tires and a cracked seat. Dunno what the heck people think is going to happen to them... 

Eb's theory on paint quality of the time makes sense to me too. I remeber several folks getting free paintjobs on GM and Chryslers back then. 

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 3

ebinmaine
17 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

Eb's theory on paint quality of the time makes sense to me too. I remeber several folks getting free paintjobs on GM and Chryslers back then

That was fairly well spread across any manufacturer that sprayed paint in the United States.

I worked at an old time style wholesale auto parts store from 1992 to 1996. We sold DuPont paint.

That was the time period when they were beginning to figure out how to actually get low VOC paint to stick and stay there but it took a few years.

We were just one tiny little hole in the wall store and we sold a BUNCH of paint....

• Like 3

cleat

And if I remember correctly, the silver, grey and blue were among the worst colours for adhesion.

The reds seemed to fade worse than other colours.

• Like 2

kpinnc
2 hours ago, cleat said:

The reds seemed to fade worse than other colours.

I think they still do, too.

• Like 1

Lee1977

They went cheaper on the engine and used the one inch axle 4 pinion transmission they used on the 300 series . They may have used cheaper paint also as they were trying to get the price of the Work Horse down below the 300 series.

The red paint they used on the Wheel Horses wasn't that great either, It looked good but didn't hold up very well.

• Like 2

Achto

I worked in a body shop from '88 - '89. We did warranty work for the local Ford dealership. I painted a lot of cars & trucks that they brought to us with the paint pealing off. Some of the vehicles you were able to remove most of the paint with just a pressure washer. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

cleat

My dad bought a new Chevy half ton in two tone dark red and silver in 1988.

First trip to the car wash a lot of the silver that was on the lower part of the truck peeled off.

It was grey primer underneath so he just left it.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Horse Newbie
5 hours ago, kpinnc said:

Pete also has posted a one way check valve that he says works well. 

Do you mean a check valve in combination with a primer bulb?

A lot of primer bulbs I seen online had a check valve built in… Seems like all primer bulbs would have a check valve built in.

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
Just now, Horse Newbie said:

Seems like all primer bulbs would have a check valve built in.

In fact, I believe that they have TWO.  One at the inlet of the bulb, one at the outlet.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

I have a bulb on my C 105. Works like a charm… couple pumps and fires right up… :handgestures-thumbupright:

I also believe they have one way valve(s) or they wouldn’t function…

• Like 2

kpinnc
1 hour ago, Horse Newbie said:

Do you mean a check valve in combination with a primer bulb?

No sir. One or the other was my point.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

Where on the tractor do you locate the primer bulb?

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

Between engine and column on mine…lower right of engine:

image.jpeg.34721ad277cbbaab2e07eab47501d59e.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

kpinnc
4 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Where on the tractor do you locate the primer bulb?

Anywhere that it is comfortable to reach on the fuel line path. 

I hit mine every time I raise the hood to check the oil before a start. Cranks on the first turn in most cases. 

• Like 3