Horse Newbie

1984 Work Horse GT-1600 REFRESH

WHX??

All horses and a ton of other brands use those bearings. 1 3/8 X 3/4. Only two that in know of that didn’t is the Super C,  520 &  some older RJ's just had bushings. 

Hardware store ones always looked a bit cheesy for me Newbie. Ok for a wheelbarrow but not my horse.  I get the ones that Jeff showed lots of them on the Jungle or Fleabay and with 25+ running tractors :hide: I buy in bulk.

General consensus here is a trailer queen .... leave the seals in and run ungreased. ....worker pick the inner seal out and grease through the zerk. Jeff is right about the quality & quantity of grease in them. 

They are considered low speed/low precision and if anybody ever finds them in precision flavor I'm all ears.... just in case I want to run her down the interstate. ....:auto-layrubber::lol:

Yes would be interesting to see how pc-7 or JB weld will hold up. Regardless better than what it was. 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Horse Newbie
5 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Yes would be interesting to see how pc-7 or JB weld will hold up. Regardless better than what it was

Exactly… better than it was… I had seen on here somewhere that a guy had used it on his spindles. I had some minor damage and figured it would help hold the bearing a little more true. Won’t be getting any highway miles…

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
47 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

junk

Keep in mind that those bearings are Chinese imports.  They may be junk also, but at least they have seals that you can easily get off and put good grease into!

I think lots of the guys are using those, I've seen them posted here on the forum before, so I ain't alone!

• Like 3

Horse Newbie
6 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Keep in mind that those bearings are Chinese imports.  They may be junk also, but at least they have seals that you can easily get off and put good grease into!

I think lots of the guys are using those, I've seen them posted here on the forum before, so I ain't alone!

I figured they were China made… surprise, surprise ! But they look better than what I bought.

WHX??

Believe it or not Newbie I bought several from different sellers and compared them some were good some not. Actually miced the different slops. I did document my findings in hopes of going a thread on them someday when I get Jeffs kinda time. :ychain:. Always in search of the perfect resto for a favorite tractor. 

39 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

Won’t be getting any highway miles…

:laughing-rolling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Jeff-C175
9 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Jeffs kinda time

Gotta be lovin' every day is Saturday!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Greentored

Just checking in here, lookin great buddy!!!:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Horse Newbie

Thanks @Greentored… the holidays  slowed the progress a good bit with MIL staying for a month or so…

Plus I have somewhat been dragging my feet. I’m glad you stopped by and showed an interest !

• Like 1

Pullstart
2 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

Thanks @Greentored… the holidays  slowed the progress a good bit with MIL staying for a month or so…

Plus I have somewhat been dragging my feet. I’m glad you stopped by and showed an interest !

Seems like you’d have found MORE time to be in the shop!  :ROTF:

• Haha 4

Horse Newbie
53 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

Honey-dew list doubled…

• Haha 2

Pullstart
2 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

Honey-dew list doubled…

“Sure Babe!  I think I left my tools in the shop for that!  I’ll be right back!”  Dumdadumdumdum…wandering off for an hour or two.

• Haha 4

WHX??

I take it MIL doesn't like to wrench?!?!? :lol::banana-wrench:

• Haha 1

Horse Newbie
1 minute ago, WHX?? said:

I take it MIL doesn't like to wrench?!?!? :lol::banana-wrench:

Nope… but she is the project foreman that helps the grunts…

She actually works hard… just not on tractors.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Jeff-C175

My MIL actually helped me pull an engine in her Ford Maverick one time!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, Pullstart said:

THAT'S WHAT I WAS THINKING!!!

1 hour ago, Pullstart said:

“Sure Babe!  I think I left my tools in the shop for that!  I’ll be right back!”  Dumdadumdumdum…wandering off for an hour or two.

You meant DAY right!!??!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Bill D

Looking great.  Can't wait to see a video of it running.

• Thanks 1

Horse Newbie
6 hours ago, Bill D said:

Looking great.  Can't wait to see a video of it running.

Oh, I will definitely post a video and pics !

Horse Newbie

I have a question about setting the toe-in on the Work Horse, since I am replacing the tie rods and having the rims powder coated.

Take a look at the photo attached and tell me, where do I measure the 1/4 inch toe-in ?… at point “a”, point “b”, point “c”(outer front edge of the front tires), or point “d”( outer front edge of the front rims) ?

I have attempted to draw a cross-section view to try to illustrate what I am talking about.

I do know the farther out on the straight edge I measure, the less actual “toe-in” I will have at the rims.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

F63FE71F-FCDA-457A-8B69-2E4613D70E2B.jpeg.4b5e649e2cd52fc7692e149b8970308d.jpeg

Jeff-C175
19 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

help or advice

To measure and adjust the toe you also need a measurement BEHIND the axle which you haven't shown.  

Obviously the further away you are, the more 'sensitive' the measurement, but you don't really need that much.  It's not going to make a difference that you can feel.

I measure between the fronts of the wheels and between the rear of the wheels.

Center the steering wheel and clamp it so it won't move and adjust so the distances are about equal, say within a quarter inch or so. You only need to be close.

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine

I measure from the red line to your letter D line. 

Front of rim to back of rim. 

I go for about ⅛ to ³/¹⁶ difference. 

1319399661_Screenshot_20220108-1237522.png.c673dd27035c15be41b13db307e0670e.png

I use 2 rulers stacked and clamped. 

Get the front snug between the rims and just eyeball the back. 

IMG_20211112_191937610~2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jeff-C175
6 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I go for about ⅛ to ³/¹⁶ difference. 

6 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Get the front snug between the rims and just eyeball the back. 

Yeah, you want a little bit of toe IN, not OUT.

On my machine with the tri-ribs it's easier to measure from the center tire rib itself, it's a big target and easy to get to!

• Like 2

Horse Newbie
4 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Yeah, you want a little bit of toe IN, not OUT.

On my machine with the tri-ribs it's easier to measure from the center tire rib itself, it's a big target and easy to get to!

With “toe-in” meaning the measurement will be shorter in the front of the rims, with the fronts of the rims very slightly angled towards the centerline of the tractor ?

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
35 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

With “toe-in” meaning the measurement will be shorter in the front of the rims, with the fronts of the rims very slightly angled towards the centerline of the tractor ?

Correctamundo.

Strangely though, nearly every WH I've looked at with the non-adjustable tie rods has been toed OUT from the factory by ohhh, maybe a half inch or so.  You can stand in front of the machine and SEE it in fact.

Which makes me wonder ...  WHY ?  (I do too much of wondering why I think!)  Is there something Mr. Pond knew that we don't know?

Fact is though, traveling at 7 MPH tops, it really doesn't matter.

In an auto traveling at road speed, if you're toed OUT the steering will have a tendency to want to 'wander' from left to right as the vehicle tries to first follow one tire, then the other.  It is NOT a peaceful easy feeling driving a vehicle like that, and I've had a few!  The worst thing is when they take to 'oscillating', THAT is scary!

Ya know, it's possible... maybe... that a little bit of toe OUT would actually 'lighten' the steering a little bit.  If one tire is already pointed in the direction you want to go... as opposed to if they are toed IN a bit, one tire is going to 'scrub' a little.  In other words, a slight toe OUT might provide a teeny bit of steering ASSIST.  maybe...  and I don't even want to START thinking about how that geometry changes as you turn the wheel!  And it will change, caster, camber, affect that.  And don't forget that the RADIUS of the circle the tire is following is different in a turn.

Yeah, just 'eyeball' them and you'll be fine.

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 1

Horse Newbie
1 hour ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Fact is though, traveling at 7 MPH tops, it really doesn't matter

My thoughts too… main concern was slightly thinking about tire wear on pavement, and ease of turning. Seems like I heard somewhere that a little toe-in makes turning easier.

• Like 1

Horse Newbie
1 hour ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Yeah, just 'eyeball' them and you'll be fine

I agree… unless I take it to Bonneville !:lol:

• Haha 1