Sign in to follow this  
Bull

417A Transmission Clutch Lever problem

Bull

Hello Everyone,

I was having a great day with my tractor today hauling topsoil and then spreading it with the dozer blade. The 417A was running really nice and the cart I had purchased last year was perfect for what I needed to do. Coming back over to my topsoil pile to get another load I stopped the tractor and when I pulled the transmission clutch lever to disengage the whole lever slammed down. I couldn't move the lever up without prying it. Even then it would not stay in position. I couldn't even move the tractor since the plow blade was already down. I took the plow off there in my driveway and pushed the tractor into garage to see what was wrong. I pulled the right side cover off and discovered that the idle pulley was not attached to the belt drive. I reattached it but discovered an anti-rattle spring laying under the machine. I think this came loose when I pulled the idle pulley off to see if everything was alright. The belt looked fine so tomorrow I will try and reconnect everything and hopefully get back to using it.  I really don't know why this happened but maybe I was pushing the plow to hard. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Regards,

Bob

JoeM
11 minutes ago, Bull said:

maybe I was pushing the plow to hard

I doubt it. Ran that type of hydro on a FEL pushing and digging. They are tough. 

Those disconnects endure a lot of vibration. A new mounting bolt and some lock tight could be your friend.

I would also check all the associated bushings and shafts for wear. Also, when the back of the belt gets worn it can cause a lot of jumping in that linkage. 

• Like 3