Gregor

A different saw

Gregor

I never knew these existed until I discovered this in a barn on a property my sister bought. She gave it to me, and I gladly accepted. Cleaned it up a bit, put in new fuel, and it popped right off. I hear they are popular with the Amsih.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4

ebinmaine

Pretty cool.

Interesting to see the gas powered tools we had when generators weren't quite so common.

I have an old table saw that's been in the family for several decades. There's a planer that bolts to one side of it as well.

There's a rod at the back which would be the pivot point to an electric motor of your choice. You make the belt long enough that the weight of the motor is what keeps the belt tight.

For several years now I've looked at that old saw sitting in the corner and thought that it would be pretty cool if it was powered by a gas engine or maybe even a tractor PTO but that would likely get in the way of larger pieces.

• Like 1

wallfish

That's in fairly nice condition compared to most. Throw a 10" blade on there and feel the power!

Check out this Homelite tool collection. They made lots of different 2 stroke tools

https://myoldmachine.com/topic/429-homelite-xl-tool-collection/?tab=comments#comment-3388

The Harvester is the only one I ever seen so far that's complete and running. 

While over there visiting our sister site My Old Machine, check out the Ohlsson and Rice Rice section. Tons of different little 2 stroke powered tools with lots of pics. Think I have about 70 or so of those tools in my collection

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Skwerl58

And please use the proper oil/ fuel mix in that saw. My old Homelites used 16:1 and were great chain saws. I lent a  360 PRO out with a can of proper gas mix and they used a different can of gas and seized it. Some will knock the Homelites and Macs  but they were very good saws in their time and some are still going strong!

• Like 1

Pullstart
16 minutes ago, Skwerl58 said:

And please use the proper oil/ fuel mix in that saw. My old Homelites used 16:1 and were great chain saws. I lent a  360 PRO out with a can of proper gas mix and they used a different can of gas and seized it. Some will knock the Homelites and Macs  but they were very good saws in their time and some are still going strong!

I am pretty sure @Gregor just had that same issue with a mower that was for sale.  The prospect buyer seized it.  If that’s the case, I’m sure he’s well aware of the proper mix :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Gregor
5 hours ago, pullstart said:

If that’s the case, I’m sure he’s well aware of the proper mix 

Yep :thumbs:

wallfish

The old Homelite stuff was 16:1 but that was using 30w motor oil. The modern 2 stroke oil now is so much better so mine go on 32:1. By all means it's better to go with more oil rather than not enough so take my advise with a grain of salt. More oil equals more smoke and possible plug fouling but not enough oil can wear parts or seize them.

And the XL100 uses a 8" saw blade (But a common 7 1/4 will work) not a 10" blade like stated above. I was thinking about the XL120 saw which is basically the same but that one uses the bigger 10" blade. I'm still looking for one those XL120 saws.

Gregor

I have several old Lawn boys that burn 16:1. I put 32:1 in all of them, and add a touch of MMO to the tank. I have never had a problem yet. As stated, with the newer oils of today, the mix is not as critical as it once was. Sometimes I don't even remember which mix is suppose to go in what engine. I have replaced pistons, and rings on several, and don't really know which ones. When in doubt, I simply add a little MMO to them, and it's all good.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
13 hours ago, Gregor said:

remember which mix is suppose to go in what engine

I have 4 chainsaws, a leaf blower and 2 trimmers. 

The least mix is a modern Echo saw at (IMHO a scant) 50:1. The most oil is maybe 24:1 I think, on old technology oil. 

I do a default to "more oil is better" and run about 25 or 30 to 1 of modern synthetic oil in the one gas mix can I use. 

The most commonly used machines get a new plug every year and I believe a $4 NGK investment is cheap enough insurance.