Sign in to follow this  
Benshorses

520HC pto problems

Benshorses

Well I finally got 520HC with 300 hours, a frozen 48" deck and all the owners manuels for $250 :thumbs2: Was told it didn't run so got it home stuck a new battery on it and it fired right up. Then spent 4hours cleaning all the grass out from it(about 10lbs worth)! Now the ownly problem I have is when I go to turn on the pto it turns the motor off. I know its a electric problem, I just don't know were to start(not use to so much wiring on a graden tractor)? Any help would be awsome.

stevebo

sounds like your pto saftey switch is bad.

travisg84

If I were you I would start with the seat switch. Depending on the year its in the seat or on the seat pan. :thumbs2:

sysco

you need to make sure both cylinders are firing or that will kill the engine also when putting force on the engine. just something to check

IthacaJeff

Hi,

I just had the same problem with my 310-8. . . engage the PTO and the engine

died. After some fussing I found out that my seat switch was not fully depressed.

The spring metal "switch presser" on the bottom of the seat had pretty much

lost it positioning and tension. Taped a piece of 3" foam rubber (from one of my

kid's pool toys) to the spring metal; so that the foam now acts as the spring.

Works like a charm.

Jeff in Ithaca

kpinnc

Congratulations on the new 520 Ben!

But a word of caution: If you had that much grass clippings everywhere, it may be a good time to go ahead and clean out around the back cylinder head of the engine. Onans are bad to suck clippings into the shroud, and the rear cylinder will run hot resulting in the valve seat popping out.

It's a bit of work taking off the covers, but not nearly as bad as buying a new block...

Kevin