Pullstart

Silly question

Pullstart

Are D-160 axles 1-1/8”?  Are the key ways straight, half moon, etc?  Wondering if I could say swap a 6 lug D hub onto a 6 or 8 speed gear drive 1-1/8” axle…. Xi series?

8ntruck

Silly answer:  Almost anything is possible with enough time and money.  If I remember correctly, you have a mill in your magic barn that could put any kind of key way you need in an axle.....

Super C hubs are 6 on 6 bolt circle with a 4 5/8 center hole, same as the D's.  I'm thinking that the axles on a Super C are 1 1/8.  It follows that the D hubs and axles are the same?

• Like 1

8ntruck

Kev - I went into Toro part master and looked up hubs and hub keys for C-195 and D-160.  The keys are half moon and are common between the C and D.  The hubs, however are different part numbers.  In the parts diagram, theinboard side of the D hubs are cylindrical in shape.  The in board side of the C hubs have four lobes.  I'll guess that the length of the hubs from the wheel mounting surface to the in board end are different between the two series as well.

Didn't think to compare part numbers on axles or differential parts though.  Doing so might give an indication about axle diameter.

• Thanks 1

953 nut
11 hours ago, pullstart said:

Are the key ways straight, half moon, etc?

The keys for the "D" are the same as the GT-14, it is a 1/4 X 2 3/4 #RX Woodruff keyway. Don't know what the keyway on the Xi series is but any 1/4" key (the longer the better) will work on the "D" Hub. If you need a couple let me know, I had to buy a package of 20!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Shynon
2 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Don't know what the keyway on the Xi series

Is the same as a heavy C series hub

• Like 1

Skipper

D axles are same as C195. 1 1/8". Hubs should be interchangeable too. You will need to find ones that are longer to accommodate the hubs. I am on the exact project, and about to find out what length I need. The Xi axles are both same length I think. Will measure them later on. Have an Xi trans in pieces on the floor. Think perhaps the long axle from any hydro 1 1/8 might be an option, just at a quick glance.

• Like 1

Skipper

Just checked. The Xi uses 2 same length axles. 

I have the 195 and  D hubs, and some axles here too. Will dive into it tomorrow or tonight if wife allows :-)

• Like 1

Skipper

Ok, so the hubs on C195 and D are 2.5 inch wider than the Xi/std hubs. Wich means you need axles that are 2.5 inch longer.

The Xi axles are 11 5/8", so you are looking for some that are 14 1/8. Part # 8055 14 1/8 will be a good match. Find any, put me down for some too ;-) They are found in GT14. Or you can go for 16 1/2 from D series, shorten them, and cut new keyways. And perhaps even more rare than the GT14's, you could use 15 7/8 out of right side C195. Good luck finding that. I think the D axles are best bet ;-)

Edited by Skipper
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1