Sign in to follow this  
Raider12

K-301 Stalls only on bumps

Raider12

:ychain: On my 1970 Raider 12 I have the original Kohler 12hp K-301. I did remove the electronic ignition and installed points years ago, and a complete rebuild in trhe last 10 years.

The problems is this, the engine starts and runs like new money, but if you hit a bump in the yard, like run over a tree roof above the ground etc. It will want to stall, but only for a sec or two. Just before it completly stalls it will pick back up again and continue to run perfect until the next bump. Any one have any idea? Maybe the float level too low? It has been doing this for a handfull of years, but I just tired of it! :thumbs2: :thumbs:

chamjack

Have you tried taking off the carb bowl to see if you might have sediment in there? I had a similar problem with my K341. It would stall any time that I was cutting a slope with it. Turned out to be some sediment in the carb bowl that would clog the jet when it swished around from being on the slope. Maybe the bumps are stirring the junk in there just enough to give you the problem. It does'nt take much to momentarily clog the jet hole. Did you check all your electical connections? Maybe something is loose and losing contact from the bump. Are you bouncing in in the seat possibly having the seat safety switch triggering (if you have one wired in there)? Just throwing out some suggestions. Hope it helps. Good luck

Raider12

I have gone over all the electrical connections pretty good a few times. And I don't have a seat safty switch. I had looked into the carb, but that was a few years ago. I should probably start there. The carb was brand new at the time of the overhaul. But that now has been several years past.

WheelHorse_of_course

If it still had the old breakerless ignition I would guess the kill wire is shorting to the frame.

With coil ignition it is possible you have an intermittent short to ground in the wire from the ignition switch to the coil (if this is the case you should feel definite heat in this wire back towards the switch, particularly if you cause it a few times in a row.

An intermittent open would do this too.

The other possibility is a short to ground in the coil to points. If this were the case I'd expect you would get backfires sometimes when this happens.

An open here could also do this, but you wouldn't get backfires.

IN any case I would strongly suspect a wiring problem, but the other possibilities are the ignition switch and the coil.

You might disconnect the hot lead to the coil and tape it off and then run a wire from the battery directly to the coil and see if it still happens.

This will serve to divide the possible causes for the problem in half.

best of luck.

:thumbs2: