Sparky

New machine.. 867

wallfish

New fresh paint probably won't wet sand very well as it will continuously clog the paper if it isn't dry and hard.  The soft new paint should come off much easier than the old paint does so oven cleaner or other solvents suggested should work. I've had success using citrus based paint remover since it's weaker than solvent based paint remover but still strong enough to melt fresh paint. It will work on old paint too but it needs to sit on there for quite a long time before it penetrates and then requires multiple applications. Wipe it on an area and wipe it off with paper towels and the time between wiping off really depends upon that new paint. Be sure to rinse it off with soap and water afterwards. The citrus stuff doesn't seem to do much of anything after it's dry but rinsing it off will ensure it doesn't keep going into the old paint. Lightly wet sand or compound after the new paint is off. Tape off decals no matter what you use.

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher
23 hours ago, Sparky said:

Haven’t tried it yet. I’ll update when I do give it a go.

Hope it all works out bud. 

Retired Wrencher
20 hours ago, wallfish said:

New fresh paint probably won't wet sand very well as it will continuously clog the paper if it isn't dry and hard.  The soft new paint should come off much easier than the old paint does so oven cleaner or other solvents suggested should work. I've had success using citrus based paint remover since it's weaker than solvent based paint remover but still strong enough to melt fresh paint. It will work on old paint too but it needs to sit on there for quite a long time before it penetrates and then requires multiple applications. Wipe it on an area and wipe it off with paper towels and the time between wiping off really depends upon that new paint. Be sure to rinse it off with soap and water afterwards. The citrus stuff doesn't seem to do much of anything after it's dry but rinsing it off will ensure it doesn't keep going into the old paint. Lightly wet sand or compound after the new paint is off. Tape off decals no matter what you use.

Good info there John.