No Time

New Guy in Michigan

No Time

Hello to all. New to the Wheel Horse world and very happy to have found this group.

I have been restoring (13) vintage Honda motorcycles for 15 years and needed something much simpler to work on (I am 67 years old) In addition, my grand kids have been helping out, mostly polishing parts and handing me tools. They could not enjoy the end result once the motorcycle was standing tall and looking good.

Yesterday I acquired a nice little 400 Suburban which needs some attention and a thorough cleaning. This is a project they are excited to undertake and they will be able to operate and ride the end result. 

My specialty has always been carburation and electronics so I'm guessing this may be somewhat simpler on the vintage Wheel Horse tractors. With that said, I have enough experience to know we don't always know what we think we know.

I'm aware of the sometimes daunting task in acquiring parts et al for vintage machines. It is my sincere hope you fine folks may offer suggestions and contacts to help this new guy along.

Thanks to all of you in advance. Looking forward to this new adventure in the vintage Wheel Horse world.

Rob in Michigan

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs: Rob.

Thanks for the intro and story.   I have no experience with "Burbs", but there are plenty of collectors on here that will be happy to supply any help you may need.

• Like 2

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti: Rob!  You’re right down the road from Steiner Tractor, huh?  Congrats on the Suburban, they sure are fun!  

Here’s a picture of my 11 year old on hers last summer.  It’s a great feeling when the kids are involved!

FC4FEC3B-C6B2-4D94-BE10-30F543F2BCE1.jpeg

• Like 4

WHX??

:WRS: Rob 

'Burbs are a favorite model here and lots of pros here on them. I gave that one above to Kev and regret as it was my first 'Burb until I see the smile on my girl's face. Clearly she enjoys and runs  it much more than I did. 

BTW we do like our :text-coolphotos: here! 

20160220_133609.jpg

20200711_103436.jpg

20200711_103520.jpg

20200711_201718.jpg

FB_IMG_1594589355826.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 2

Achto

:WRS:  From restored to original and every thing in between I like all Suburban's.

Here is a picture of my 400.

DSCN1194-min.JPG.900682385cf1a1eeb69db190a62ee9fd.JPG

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

WHX??

:text-yeahthat: His first major award with it! 

20210829_135415.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

oliver2-44

:text-welcomeconfetti:Suburbans are nice simple little tractors.  One caution note, with them being mid-engine they are light on the front end and can rear up easly if the clutch is popped.  With kids operating them a front weight and/or fluid filled front tires is a good safety consideration.

Recently one of our members posted this information about electronic ignition modules that work on these small engines.  Have Fun!

• Like 3

No Time

Boy, that was quick. Thanks to all for the welcomes, responses and great photos.

In my basic research I found the K91 at 4 hp was used in 1960 400 Suburban and the 1961 401. My tractor is very similar, if not identical to stock photos of those models.

The serial number on the throttle/choke control plate is 25285.

Does this indicate the difference between the '60 and '61 400/401?

Also, in the motorcycle world name and model designation are consistency ordered amongst those in the know. For example: I have a 1974 Honda CB 450 Supersport.

It is not a Honda Supersport 450. Not a big deal but  like pronouncing the "s" in Illinois...it drives me nuts.

So if there is a consistent order in usage, would it be a 1960 Wheel Horse 400 (401) Suburban or a Suburban 400 (401)?

As I stated earlier, I've been in the vintage motorcycle world for 3 decades it is very specific.

If there are specific forums for model identification or used parts availability on this wonderful site, it would be great to know where I might look.

Thanks again

• Like 1

JPWH

:WRS:  there is a vendor section as well as classifieds. Click on the banner at top of page and scroll down.

Jay

• Like 1

Achto
1 hour ago, No Time said:

The serial number on the throttle/choke control plate is 25285.

Does this indicate the difference between the '60 and '61 400/401?

Quite simple to answer this one. The fact that it has a throttle/choke plate would mean that you have a 1960 400. On the 1961 401 model there are push pull type throttle and choke and there is a round plate to access the spark plug.

Nobody seems to be real fussy on the order that you say the names. Just know that :wh: was not the only manufacturer to make a tractor that they called a Suburban.

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Good to see another Michigander!!!

Nice tractor!!!

BOB ELLISON

Michigan is getting famous for wheel horses. 

These guys will help you with everything. 

• Excellent 1

jay bee

:text-welcomewave: to :rs:@No Time

Yea!  Another Michigander. 

gwest_ca

Welcome to Red Square.

Click on the fuzzy picture in the link

953 nut
23 hours ago, No Time said:

nice little 400 Suburban which needs some attention and a thorough cleaning. This is a project they are excited to undertake and they will be able to operate and ride the end result.

Grandchildren and :wh: go together well and they will have a lifetime of memories of time spent with grandpa and that little tractor.     :twocents-02cents:      I will give you fair warning, these little horses tend to multiply.     :ychain:

141748001_1Horse-a-holic.jpg.ed6c7ad045ec50ba16fcc500c668d5ad.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

EB-80/8inPA
On 9/2/2021 at 9:55 AM, Achto said:

Here is a picture of my 400.

DSCN1194-min.JPG.900682385cf1a1eeb69db190a62ee9fd.JPG

Was that you doing wheelies on that tractor at the big show?  Most impressive!

• Like 1

Achto
2 hours ago, EB-80/8inPA said:

Was that you doing wheelies on that tractor at the big show?  Most impressive!

That would've been me.:D Thank you.