RonL

Engine Swap

RonL

Can I "easily" replace the 10 HP Kohler engine on my 310-8 with an Onan 20 HP used on a 520-8? 

ebinmaine

I'm interested to see what the others are going to say but I'm going to throw out two answers here.

One. If you have a parts machine you'd have most of what you need to get the job done already.

Two.... A 520-8 is one of the rarest and most desirable wheel horses and I do whatever I could to keep THAT one whole.

What exactly did you have in mind? Do you already have the onan? Do you actually have the 520-8? Or is yours a hydro? Just curious....

• Excellent 1

oliver2-44

Since the 10hp Kohler is the larger block size, it would be "easiest" to install a 10, 22, 14, or 16 hp Kohler K series or Magnum series.  These would be essentially be a direct replacement.  You would have to be sure you had the same base block ie a large flat base block or a small shaker plate block.  Others will be along to comment about the Onan. 

RonL
On 9/1/2021 at 3:08 PM, ebinmaine said:

I'm interested to see what the others are going to say but I'm going to throw out two answers here.

One. If you have a parts machine you'd have most of what you need to get the job done already.

Two.... A 520-8 is one of the rarest and most desirable wheel horses and I do whatever I could to keep THAT one whole.

What exactly did you have in mind? Do you already have the onan? Do you actually have the 520-8? Or is yours a hydro? Just curious....

RonL

Possibly considering repowering my 310-8 (runs fine) for more HP to help plowing snow.  Rather than buy another tractor (with manual trans), thought I'd investigate the potential of buying a 20HP Onan engine (as used on the 520-8's) and swapping out the 10 HP Kohler.  Don't know what issues I'd have to deal with---will it fit?, will the 310's frame need to be modified?, will it require new wiring, new fuel lines, etc.?  Thought I'd consult the experts.  Thanks for your response.

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, RonL said:

Possibly considering repowering my 310-8 (runs fine) for more HP to help plowing snow

To be honest what you need is MORE WEIGHT. Not more horsepower.

Trina uses her 867 to plow snow and does perfectly well with it. Eight horsepower. No issues whatsoever.

Several of us plow snow with six or seven horsepower rigs or even less.

I use a 16 horse that is dialed down in RPM so I'm probably sitting around 12 or 13 horsepower most of the time. My tractor is VERY heavily weighted. I never run out of power. I always run out of traction. 

What sort of setup are you running now? What type of terrain do you have? Do you have fluid-filled tires? Steel weights? Any chains front or rear? Extra steel weight bolted to the Tractor frame?

• Like 1

rjg854

I'm no expert but I would think staying with a Kohler engine would be a lot easier than trying to switch over to an Onan. Others will be along to let you know for sure.

pfrederi

The frames are very similar.  You would need an engine mounting plate.  Wiring issues would differ if your 310-8 has K series or a Magnum.....

I have to add however the limiting factor in snow plowing is Traction not HP

My main snow plow tractor is a 12hp Charger hydro  (figure the hydro eats a couple horse power) and she runs out of traction long before the engine labors...and she has over 200 lbs of added weights.

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 2

Handy Don
4 hours ago, pfrederi said:

You would need an engine mounting plate.  Wiring issues would differ if your 310-8 has K series or a Magnum..

if only an engine swap, then I agree (and I have an Onan engine plate in the parts pile tho some 20's needed an extra plate for the safety solenoid). Just know that the Onan is quite a snug fit under the hood and you'll definitely have to go over the wiring to replace the engine's 9-pin connector with direct connections.

But as noted, 520-8, depending on year, has the "500 upgrades": gauges (tach, fuel, etc.), gear-reduction steering, wider/taller front tires, wider rears, etc. Quite a desirable machine in its own right.

If you're determined to have more "giddyap", then I'd look into buying just a used 14 or 16hp Kohler. Much easier swap and far more fuel efficient.

RonL
16 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

To be honest what you need is MORE WEIGHT. Not more horsepower.

Trina uses her 867 to plow snow and does perfectly well with it. Eight horsepower. No issues whatsoever.

Several of us plow snow with six or seven horsepower rigs or even less.

I use a 16 horse that is dialed down in RPM so I'm probably sitting around 12 or 13 horsepower most of the time. My tractor is VERY heavily weighted. I never run out of power. I always run out of traction. 

What sort of setup are you running now? What type of terrain do you have? Do you have fluid-filled tires? Steel weights? Any chains front or rear? Extra steel weight bolted to the Tractor frame?

Currently running a 310-8 with 100 pounds of wheel weights, 42 inch plow, rear chains, electric plow lift.  Surface is gravel, terrain has some slope but mostly level.  My garage is about 40 yards from the house and have 4 separate driveways as well.  I have had traction issues so adding more weight would probably be in order as you suggested although going to a small 4 x 4  farm tractor could be an option.  For now I'll mount some more weight and see how it goes. I've scrapped the idea of an engine swap.  Thanks for all of your advice!

• Like 1

RonL

Currently running a 310-8 with 100 pounds of wheel weights, 42 inch plow, rear chains, electric plow lift.  Surface is gravel, terrain has some slope but mostly level.  My garage is about 40 yards from the house and have 4 separate driveways as well.  I have had traction issues so adding more weight would probably be in order as you suggested although going to a small 4 x 4  farm tractor could be an option.  For now I'll mount some more weight and see how it goes. I've scrapped the idea of an engine swap.  Thanks for all of your advice!

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, RonL said:

For now I'll mount some more weight and see how it goes

Just as a point of reference I have 255 lbs of fluid weight alone. Then another 130 or more in steel. 

Your surface and layout is likely about what we have here. 

Keep adding weight until you think you have way too much. Then add more. 

Traction solved!