BOB ELLISON

C160 make over again

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, BOB ELLISON said:

making some progress

Good to see the headway Mr Bob. 

• Like 1

WheelhorseBob

I’m going to follow this. Bob from another mom Bob here. I’m currently knee deep in my 161 rebuild. Wish I were closer, I’d love to help where I could!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BOB ELLISON
2 minutes ago, WheelhorseBob said:

I’m going to follow this. Bob from another mom Bob here. I’m currently knee deep in my 161 rebuild. Wish I were closer, I’d love to help where I could!

Thank you for following. 

I wish I had someone's help but this advice i can give and strongly recommend .

take lots of pictures before you disassemble  anything. This is the second c160 I've redone and I still have to look at my first one to help me remember what part goes  where . I'm constantly looking at the master parts list to see how it fits. And what goes where.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, BOB ELLISON said:

take lots of pictures

That might be the best piece of advice about doing a restoration. 

Take them at different angles too.  

In 4 years, Trina and I have done 3 full restos right down to the last nut and bolt, at least that many partials, and several parts disassemblies.  We still use a whole similar tractor as reference material. 

Pics have saved our bacon 🥓 more than once. 

• Like 2

Gregor

When you are sure you have enough pics, take some more !

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

WheelhorseBob
12 hours ago, BOB ELLISON said:

Thank you for following. 

I wish I had someone's help but this advice i can give and strongly recommend .

take lots of pictures before you disassemble  anything. This is the second c160 I've redone and I still have to look at my first one to help me remember what part goes  where . I'm constantly looking at the master parts list to see how it fits. And what goes where.

I did just that. Still amazed that I seem to never have the exact right angle to see what I need…..🤔

• Like 2

Handy Don
1 hour ago, WheelhorseBob said:

I did just that. Still amazed that I seem to never have the exact right angle to see what I need…..🤔

Pause as you are disassembling (or about to) and ask yourself "how will I put this back together?" Hold bolts and screws and brackets out where you can see the size and shape in the picture--even include the wrench or socket size used.

That should inform the images you need to capture.

Another trick, if you are so inclined, is to start a video so you can narrate the process--set your camera to a low resolution so it doesn't use up tons of memory.

• Like 2

BOB ELLISON

I'm back at it again, had to stop working on it for a few days  because I lost one of my best friends. He was the assistant Pastor of my Church. One of the nicest persons I have ever known. 

I'm starting to wire up the old girl trying to get it running by next weekend. I had to order a carb from isavetractors.the carb on it was for a 10hp engine and even though it did run ok im sure it didn't use all the power it had because of it.

And some electrical connectors from CustomConnectorKits.

they had the delphi 56 series connectors.

I did over order on the 5 post ignition switch connector so I may have to give some away for Christmas gifts. Haha.

I ordered 7 of the 5 post and 10 of the female connectors. 

I decided to install the brake switch for safety reasons I ordered 2 of them and the connectors. ill put one on my first c160 after I get this one up and running. I don't need one for the PTO because I don't use it.

20210925_184555.jpg

20210925_184642.jpg

20210925_184713.jpg

20210925_184811.jpg

20210925_184848.jpg

20210925_185002.jpg

20210925_185056.jpg

• Excellent 6

EB-80/8inPA
5 minutes ago, BOB ELLISON said:

I'm back at it again, had to stop working on it for a few days  because I lost one of my best friends. He was the assistant Pastor of my Church. One of the nicest persons I have ever known. 

Very sorry to hear of the loss of one of your best friends, Mr. Ellison.

• Sad 2

ebinmaine
11 hours ago, EB-80/8inPA said:

Very sorry to hear of the loss of one of your best friends, Mr. Ellison.

Agreed. 

My condolences.  

Excellent work on the wiring there.  

• Like 1

BOB ELLISON

I'm back at it again today trying to get it back together. I did finish the electrical and I got the right axle seal replaced. This was the biggest oil seal I've ever seen. The replacement seal is less then half the size. There was so much trans fluid on the hub that it was easy to remove and hub and shift were in great shape. I striped the paint off the finder,foot rests and belt cover. The paint was so thick on the belt cover  I had to use paint stripper to get it off. How can anyone bend up the back of the finder that bad.

I have some welding on the finder because the holes are braking apart  from the bolts.

20210927_124337.jpg

20210927_124356.jpg

20210927_134221.jpg

20210927_151034.jpg

20210927_152430.jpg

20210928_125631.jpg

20210928_125645.jpg

20210928_171605.jpg

20210928_171742.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 4

BOB ELLISON

Working again on the old girl. The c160 you dirty minded people. I got most of it painted except the hood I don't know if I'll have enough warm weather to get it done. Anyways I did get the right axle seal replaced and whoever tried to fix it put a woodruff key on that was to small so they put a piece of wire to raise it up. so I decided to check the left and it's a good thing I did the hub moved 1/4inch both ways with out moving to axle the nut screwed off a threaded stud. "Figure that out". So I had to weld the nut to the stud and it did come out. The hub came off easly with my gear puller.

The hub will have to be replaced but it didn't hurt the axle or the woodruff key. Now I'm looking for a 1 1/8" hub

Anyways a few pictures 

20210930_181154.jpg

20210930_181250.jpg

20210930_181609.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Sad 1

BOB ELLISON

Finally got it done. I tried to get it started for the first time in 3 years  and I turned the key and nothing. So I had to get the ohm meter out to find the problem.  I decided to use the amp gage to see if it was charging and sure enough it was dead. I had another gage from my 74 c160 that was working ok before I changed it to a voltage gage. Well this time after about 2 seconds it fired up and runs great. And I decided to install the only seat i kept and  made. Everything works and no more rust except for a few bolts I reused. Im very happy with my C160's.

20211002_191256.jpg

20211006_162912.jpg

20211006_162924.jpg

20211006_162940.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 6
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine

Excellent!!

• Like 1

BOB ELLISON

I wanted to post this but I had to use YouTube. 

• Excellent 6
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, BOB ELLISON said:

had to use YouTube

Best to do so anyway Bob. 

That way it doesn't take up memory in Redsquare. 

Beautiful machine!!

• Like 2

Moparfanforever
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Best to do so anyway Bob. 

That way it doesn't take up memory in Redsquare. 

Beautiful machine!!

It truly is beautiful , nice work !! 

• Like 1

rjg854

Great job, Bob.  That seat looks fantastic on there, I wonder who made that. :ychain: :laughing-rolling:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

chip61
2 hours ago, rjg854 said:

Great job, Bob.  That seat looks fantastic on there, I wonder who made that. :ychain: :laughing-rolling:

Still kicking myself for not buying one for my C160!! Tractor looks great!!

• Like 1

BOB ELLISON
9 minutes ago, chip61 said:

Still kicking myself for not buying one for my C160!! Tractor looks great!!

I loved making the seats for the lawn ranger and the 1054/953 but the c160 seats were a lot more work. Maybe someday someone will bring them back and start making them again.

• Excellent 1

WHX??

Just caught this thread Bob & real nice work!!! :handgestures-thumbupright:

On 9/30/2021 at 5:39 PM, BOB ELLISON said:

The hub will have to be replaced but it didn't hurt the axle or the woodruff key. Now I'm looking for a 1 1/8" hub

FYI guys I can put a new key way in those hubs and make them good as new so don't scrap them. Hear tell they don't make them anymore! 

• Like 1

rjg854
5 hours ago, WHX?? said:

Just caught this thread Bob & real nice work!!! :handgestures-thumbupright:

FYI guys I can put a new key way in those hubs and make them good as new so don't scrap them. Hear tell they don't make them anymore! 

That's good to hear Jim, I was just wondering if that was possible vs just scraping them. Especially those heavier duty ones.

BOB ELLISON

I got my bumper back on the 77 c160.

This came on my 1974 but I removed it for my plow. I wasn't sure if the plow would work with it on so I put it in my storage garage and I hid it pretty good. Anyway this is on and I like it. 

I painted the front because it was starting to rust.

20211010_164542.jpg

20211010_164551.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, BOB ELLISON said:

bumper

That's pretty snazzy Bob. 

I've been finding the value of a front bumper occasionally. My Mackissic chipper frame lives on the front of my own C-160 right now. 

• Like 1