stevebo

5 XI Fuel Problems

stevebo

I have had several 520xi models and I have to say this for those of you having problems with getting fuel… you need to bypass the original vac style pump and install an electric pump. It seems the vac pumps are a weak point on these machines. I have diagnosed several of these and the majority of the time the original pumps are junk. 

Figured I would put it out there.

• Like 1

JoeM
11 hours ago, stevebo said:

install an electric pump

where are you putting the pump?

I did one and put it in the rear, but kind of didn't really like it there. Ended up making an angle iron guard. Looking for other ideas.

1030151279_newEelctricFuelPump1.jpg.6621f6f896cb25dc0c975e4fad274b2c.jpg238270302_520xi07132020rearpic.jpg.ca84284a61c519516664744d4d1af10c.jpg

• Excellent 1

doc724

Electric fuel pump is a fine idea.  I had a lot of fuel problems with my 520xi.  The biggest problem was that if I shut off the machine out in the yard when it was hot, I could not restart it for at least 4 hours.  I thought it was vapor lock.  More than once I had to tow it back to the garage.  I did all sorts of diagnostic tests to confirm it was a fuel problem and not electrical.  I even thought it may have been the anti dieseling fuel shutoff to the carb.  Out of desperation, I took the path of least resistance and bought a new fuel pump.  The standard kind, $20.  Never had another problem for the three more years I owned it.

stevebo

I installed mine behind the engine on the sheet metal that separates the engine compartment from the fuse box area. Drilled hole in that and added a rubber grommet to the fuse box fir the hot lead. Sorry no pics 

• Thanks 1

stevebo
10 hours ago, doc724 said:

Electric fuel pump is a fine idea.  I had a lot of fuel problems with my 520xi.  The biggest problem was that if I shut off the machine out in the yard when it was hot, I could not restart it for at least 4 hours.  I thought it was vapor lock.  More than once I had to tow it back to the garage.  I did all sorts of diagnostic tests to confirm it was a fuel problem and not electrical.  I even thought it may have been the anti dieseling fuel shutoff to the carb.  Out of desperation, I took the path of least resistance and bought a new fuel pump.  The standard kind, $20.  Never had another problem for the three more years I owned it.

Yup… to my point these issues are 99% fuel pumps.