D Whallon

Need help adjusted 520h transmission

D Whallon

I just got a Wheelhorse 520h a couple months ago( things slowed down when I got covid).  I am just now getting this old girl running and I need to get it right before I let my daughter's drive this old girl.   I had it running today and had forward just fine.  She stops fine, but reverse is non existent.   She creeps in reverse if anything.   I have taken cam plate all apart and cleaned up.   But when I move the control lever to reverse it doesn't seem to be in full reverse.   I did a search on here and found basic adjustments but nothing else

16303721582081589507171.jpg

1630372227283-974872943.jpg

1630372292149-2070634788.jpg

D Whallon

That last pic that shows the motion control lever.  That is all the way back in reverse.   If you notice it's not bottomed out in clearance notch for the lever.  That's what makes me think it's not all the way back.   

lynnmor

Are you pushing down on the motion lever when moving it to reverse?

Is that a nut ready to fall off in the second photo?

Lubricate (oil) the crooked slot, the linkage ends and the pivot, do not get any lubricant on the friction washer in the approximate center.

Also oil any other moving joint in there.

• Like 2

D Whallon

No the nut in the second photo isn't ready to fall off.  I had removed the nut to see if there was any binding on the linkage from the motion control lever.  

Now regarding pushing Down on motion lever when trying to reverse???  I had never heard of pushing it down. I thought it simply went forward or rearward

BTW:. Unfortunately this is my first post although I have been following a couple years.  I also have a 12 auto that I bought from my grandfather when he was with us.  I currently have it torn down rewiring it.  The 520 was supposed to be easier for my girls to handle

• Like 1

8ntruck

@D Whallon  check the manuals section of the forum.  There is probably an operator's manual there that you can download. 

Also, :text-welcomeconfetti:to the forum.  Lots of good folks here. Somebody here has probably had the same problem you are working on, solved it, and will be along soon with information.

Good luck and have fun.

D Whallon

Thank you for the welcome 8ntruck

roadapples

Yup, push down, pull back for reverse....

• Like 1

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti: @D Whallon!  I’ve very little 520H experience, it was a shock to me that there was a safety gate in the motion control as well.  Like the others said, push down then keep ‘er movin’ on backwards.

• Like 1

Chestnut

Just to clarify - by pushing down the previous posters mean toward the dash. I'll try to take a picture of the gate later today and post it. By the way, be careful if you do need to adjust the motion control linkage in any way. There's a limit switch that prevents starting in any position but neutral. Adjusting the linkage can change that so it actually starts in gear. If you do need to adjust the linkage, jack the rear tires off the ground for the first start. and readjust if needed.

D Whallon

I am so stupid these days.   Since I have had covid about a month ago, I have been dealing with brain fog, and evidently that has affected me.  I just finished getting my mother settled in bed and decided to look at the motion control lever again.   I don't see a label or sticker that says anything, but sure as the sky is blue, when you push down it goes back into reverse more.  Do I feel stupid.  Oh well good time to readjust and clean.   While I got seat off I think I will replace the fuel line as it's older than Jesus, and try to see where I am leaking hydraulic fluid.   Doesn't seem to be a fast leak, but lost about 1)2 quart in two weeks.    Anyhow, now to adjust the eccentric and get her wrapped on t hi is end for now.

Note: I actually typed this last night around 11:00 but my phone battery died before I could send it.    

• Thanks 1

lynnmor

Would be a good time to pull the fender and gas tank, considerable amounts of debris collects under there and causes rust and poor cooling.  Also, you should pull the petcock and grommet and replace after flushing the tank.

Edited by lynnmor

D Whallon

Good thoughts.  I did notice some debris in the tank.    

roadapples

The push down was painted on the lever but wears off. My 520 got me too...