Bentoolong

Runaway engine-Governor Issue?

pfrederi

Yes on the bell crank the one with the throttle cable.  Loosen the cable end clamp move throttle knob/lever to fully closed manually move governor to fully close butteflly get slack out of linkages and tighten cable end clamp.  Should be good enough.

Bentoolong

Bigger Issue.

I changed the high speed stop a little and then went to check the governor shaft.

I can turn the governor shaft "till the cows come home". I took the brass keeper loose and puled out the shaft and I can see a small yoke on the end of the shaft that appears to be broken.

I think this might be the end of my run on this machine. I don't care to take the engine apart. If I did that it would be an entire overhaul and I'm not sure about the condition of the tranny yet. To bad. 

Note to self: If you can't drive it before you buy it, it is a parts tractor.

Any closing remarks?

Ben Toolong

pfrederi

Too bad....  Previous owner should have noticed the lack of governor and at least mentioned it.....

Governors are tough   Last step in tearing down and engine and first step in reassembly  I am not aware of any shortcuts....:(

Bentoolong

The PO was not exactly honest with me on a lot of things.

"Caveat emptor"

Buyer Beware.

• Sad 1

squonk

Seems to be a run of broken governor shafts. I'm wondering if some " kids and hot rodders " got a hold of these and over rode the governors for more speed.

Bentoolong
1 hour ago, squonk said:

Seems to be a run of broken governor shafts. I'm wondering if some " kids and hot rodders " got a hold of these and over rode the governors for more speed.

You know you may be on to something. That would explain why the high speed stop was located where it was. Someone may have wanted to get max RPMs so they just revved the heck out of it and stressed the governor and eventually it broke. 

I'm sure getting an education. Some of it is getting expensive though.

Too bad the PO pitched it as a good tractor. I'm going to sell it for what it is rather than what will get me the most money. I guess it starts with me.

I like working on these old tractors but they have not been kind to me. I'm coming to realize that there is a reason that people stopped using these machines and it wasn't because they ran out of gas, if you take my meaning. I'd still like to get a decent machine that I can mow with.

I'm in the process of reassembling the machine and getting it ready for sale.

I've never seen it entirely together so that may give me some pleasure.

Its gotta go, so I can start looking for another.

BenToolong