Sign in to follow this  
chargerbilt

Clutch system

chargerbilt

Has anyone ever seen or came up with a clutch system on a wheel horse that would enable you to keep the belt tight at all times and then would just use the clutch to work as a regular"clutch"? My son's puller is quite hard on belts and his belt burning up cost him a win this weekend. We use the usual system with extra springs on it to keep lots os tension on the belt but I just wanted something better.

Denny

wallfish

Would it be possible to move the motor over to use the attachment PTO clutch to run the belt to the tranny ? Then attach the pedal to it some how to engage and release it. Stomp down on the pedal to engage the PTO which should apply plenty of pressure. Just a thought, as I was thinking of this setup for a utility vehicle build.

oldandred

what is he pulling with I pulled with a work horse 700 with a 8 hp kohler all one summer on one belt unless he comes off the line spinning tires ??

Bill

:thumbs2: I just a run a kevlar drive belt on mine, and I have no slippage whats so ever, I run a Kt17 series 2 , As long as I have traction the Eng. will run out of power before the belt slips

WHC-125

:thumbs2: I just a run a kevlar drive belt on mine, and I have no slippage whats so ever, I run a Kt17 series 2 and the Eng. will run out of power before the belt slips

Bill, I doubt it will ever run out of power with the stacks letting her breath :thumbs:

chargerbilt

He is pulling on concrete with a 20 horse Kohler v-twin providing power. Used a Kevlar belt and pulley's are aligned.

gd.pudge

ever think of a double belt on double pulley

dkopp

Has anyone tried to use a motorcycle type clutch and adapted it to the output shaft? If not that, I think that a clutch very similar to the style of the Cub Cadets could be thought of for use on the motor shaft. The issue of enough spring pressure may be the only thing that limits this application.

Another thing being that power will have to be transfered either through a belt, gear or chain system to get it to the transaxle. I think that chains are out due to the excessive speed. Gears would be too costly, and hard to keep greased. Maybe using a toothed belt would help with the slippage issue. Maybe the kind of belt used on Harley Davidsons for their drive system. Heck, they are putting almost 100 Hp to the rear wheel on those.

Anyway, just thinking out loud on this one.

Deere Hunter

He is pulling on concrete with a 20 horse Kohler v-twin providing power. Used a Kevlar belt and pulley's are aligned.

I tried using a Kevlar belt on my Open Super Stock once. The only thing I accomplished was melting it in two. The best belt to use if you are making any kind of power would be a Gates "BX" series belt. These belts work! They are a cogged belt and will take a lot of horsepower. I was making well over 50HP at the time. With the Gates "BX" belt I could leave the line at 6500 RPM. Would just give a hint of belt smoke but once it grabbed it will not let go. In fact I would have the belt so hot and sticky by the end of the pull, I would have to turn the tractor off to get it out of gear.

Good Luck :thumbs2:

bitten

50H.P.? WOW now that is Wheel Horse power :thumbs2:

dkopp

I tried using a Kevlar belt on my Open Super Stock once. The only thing I accomplished was melting it in two. The best belt to use if you are making any kind of power would be a Gates "BX" series belt. These belts work! They are a cogged belt and will take a lot of horsepower. I was making well over 50HP at the time. With the Gates "BX" belt I could leave the line at 6500 RPM. Would just give a hint of belt smoke but once it grabbed it will not let go. In fact I would have the belt so hot and sticky by the end of the pull, I would have to turn the tractor off to get it out of gear.

Good Luck :thumbs2:

Sounds like a clutch is in order for that type of pulling.

Stress Test Pullin

i run a 5/8" kevlar on my pullers, plus a big spring on the tensioner and modified a idler pulley set up to tighten the belt more on the top, but ive never had a prob wit burning belts b4 the modification

dkopp

Has anyone run a heavy-duty centrifical type clutch on a pulling tractor? I wonder if this type of clutch would lock-up with enough RPM's and not slip. I realize that starting out and toward the end of the track is where that type of clutch might not engage or disengage properly.

dkopp

I've been searching on the net for different clutch types and found this website that has a style clutch that might work with some re-engineering of sorts.

www.loganclutch.com

They have a multiple disk clutch that maybe someone could come up with a variation that would work on a WH. I'm not sure about the method of engaging and disengaging the clutch though. Possibly using some sort of a cam design with a heavy spring to apply the engagement force to the clutch pack. A multiple disk arrangement like this should have pretty good holding power. This is the type of setup they use on aircraft brakes and they work great!

gardentracotpullinfool

i build my clutches like this i use a flat idler pulley pushing down on the top of the belt and i add a second very stiff spring attached to the swing arm i have pulled many times with no problems i also use kevlar 5/8 belts from TSC.

Attached Image

post-73-1270534604.jpg