Sign in to follow this  
N.C. horserider

PTO problem

N.C. horserider

I'm having trouble with mowing. I engage the PTO but the deck belt (new) doesn't spin up to speed. I tried to adjust the bar at the trunion but it didn't help. Also when letting out the clutch the pedal comes up to a 1/4 inch from the top when it engages and tractor moves. Should I replace the clutch lining as it is probally the original. See sig for tractor info. Last is how much would a clutch lining cost on average and who might be a good supplier? Thanks Mike

hodge

You don't have a clutch for the axle- belt friction on the pulley is you clutch action. The clutch on the PTO is a seperate device, only driving your deck. If you have put a new belt on and it is slipping, and it didn't before, I would check and see if the new belt is too long before assuming the clutch is bad. When you adjust the mule drive, does it pivot way forward? It only has a limited amount of travel, and won't tighten up a belt that is too long. On mine, I like the belt to be tight when the mule drive is about straight up and down- therefore, there is still adjustment both ways. Too far forward, belt is too big. Too far back towards the tractor, and the belt is too small.

You may need a new spring on the clutch arm, so it will return all the way. Can you take your toe and pull it back more?