Skipper

0-40 oil in the hydro wohooo :-)

Skipper

So I did a nono!

Yeah i know, it's blasphemy and not what's in the manual and now it's just ruined and so on............. I did it any way. And I am soooo pleased with the results, that I thought it best to shock the bejesus off you all with this  :happy-jumpgreen:

I had always had this problem on my C195 (and many others), that it would need a period of idling, before it would be able to move, or use hydraulics. 5-20 seconds depending on temps app. It has had annually filter and oil changes since I got it, always the original filter, and the recommended mobile1.

So i thought, when they made that oil recommendation back in the days, 10-30 was just about the most advanced, readily available, multi grade oil you could get. And the Eaton 1100 will happily run on hydraulic fluid, ATF and pretty much any oil, as long as it can flow it easily. And the tranny part is also being OK with a 10-30 or an ATF. So I figured a more modern oil, that were more fluid/thinner when cold, and still had superior lubrication and carrying capacity, could only be a step up the ladder. So I loaded it up with new filter, and Castrols fully synthetic Titanium Edge 0-40. It's noticeably thinner than the 10-30 when cold, and the quality of it is, I think fair to say, rather good, to say the least. To me, this seemed like the way to go, and I really could not see any reason why this should not be OK.

So what happened? did it go boom?

Nope, it runs better than ever, and the amazing part is, that all the start up wait time is gone completely. As soon as it is fired up, it is ready to go. Hydraulics also seems a bit more responsive when cold, kind of like when hot before. It runs smooth and quiet, and just perfect.

Until it actually does go boom, this is now also my go to oil in transaxles, as it is in most all my engines.

I am not saying that anyone else should do this, as it is not what the manual says, but thought I would share it anyway.

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 5

lynnmor

I am using Castrol semi-synthetic high mileage 10W-30 and it made a noticeable difference.  Maybe someday I’ll have the guts to go all the way. :eusa-think:

• Like 2

JoeM

I have used most of what is out there, 10w-30, 10w-30 full synthetic, 10w-40 both and 5w-40 delvac all worked good. But the best i have tried is HYTran. Had a hydro Cub in for resurrection and it called for HyTran.

It is a 10w-30 viscosity, that Cub was so smooth.

I started using it in the horses and it made a difference all the way around. I am thinking at the time the old 10w-30 was a good match, and for all it is worth, there are plenty of old hydro machines still around. 

I am thinking the HyTran additive package matches the application the best. :twocents-02cents:

• Like 2

tom2p

I've heard / read good things about Hy Tran (or whatever) - but no experience with it 

I've used synthetic oil / lubricants since the mid 80's almost exclusively - primarily Mobil 1 until fairly recently 

ran 10w30 and 5w30 in Eaton 1100 for years with good results (and unfortunately with extended maintenance intervals and transmission area packed with grass clippings)

can't recall the last time I purchased standard conventional oil or straight grade oil ... probably also since mid 80's 

decades ago the chemicals used in multi grade conventional oils were reported to break down - but that again was decades ago

• Like 2

953 nut

I changed my GT-14 Sundstrand over to HyTran while I had it apart for axle replacement. It does run a bit quieter and works well. I changed the oil out twice since I was going from ATF to oil.

• Like 2

kpinnc

I don't think there can be much short of an improvement using grades of oil today that simply weren't broadly available when these machines were built. Recommendations by engineers most often are compromised by what is available at the time. I know because I am one. We do what we can with what we have and look for improvements as they are available. While many things have lost quality over time- and become throw away when used up, oil has actually gotten better.

I don't wish to open another thread about this oil vs that- that horse is black and blue on crutches with post traumatic stress meds in his pocket. But I don't cling to "only this oil works" per the manual either. Part of the purpose of this forum is spreading experience virtually, and this thread is a perfect example of a new idea that is very promising. Time will tell, but it looks great so far.

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

tom2p

there are currently a large number of great motor oils - conventional and synthetic ( semi-synthetic and full synthetic)

back in the 80's that was not the case ... at that time I was a sucker for the Mobil 1 commercial with the frying pans  lol

and many top F1 and Indy Car teams were using Mobil 1 (including Honda)

( many including Honda used specially brewed fuels - but used standard off-the-shelf Mobil 1 motor oil )

CE780DF9-68D1-4B2D-AB21-AB17157D4794.jpeg

64DE4414-D238-4819-81D3-2A233570E260.jpeg

DBFB7F8A-9BF9-408E-924E-C8C8D63327EA.jpeg

Edited by tom2p
  • Like 1