Ike

Center spindle grease zerk sheared off

Ike

Any suggestions on how to adjust deck so as to not shear off the center spindle grease zerk on a 48” deck running on a 2005 classic gt?

I went to grease the deck spindles this week and I noticed the center grease zerk head had sheared off. 

Thanks!

Jeff-C175

I was just going to find the thread in which we were talking about this exact issue to report that I think mine is repaired using the suggestions in that thread...  Suggest you go there, standby and I'll post a link...

• Like 2

Jeff-C175

@Ike

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 1

Jeff-C175

I did a number of things,

First, I had to chase the threads with a tap and there were just enough left that I was able to install a new fitting.  I used some blue Loctite to be safe.

I then loosened the four brackets that hold the lift frame to the deck and being there was some play was able to move it over about a quarter inch.

Next, and most helpful was drilling through the half inch rod on the lift arm and installing a washer and hitch pin to prevent the lift arm from getting close to the grease zerk during operation.

Finally, I ground about a quarter inch off the bottom leading edge of the lift arm.

After reinstalling the deck and checking up/down at all cutting heights it appears that there is now sufficient clearance to prevent a recurrence.  I'm still pretty nervous about it though.

One caution though!  Be VEWY VEWY CAREFUL when sliding the deck under the machine!  If the lift arm is all the way down it would be very easy to accidentally break a zerk off!  I suggest raising the lift before sliding the deck under, then when it's under and centered, lower the arm and continue the rest of the hookups.

There's a weirdness to this that I haven't figured out...  I've had this deck for over 30 years and not once has this been a problem until I rebuilt the deck this Spring.  I don't know what is different!

Edited by Jeff-C175

Ed Kennell

I usually replace the center zerks with a 1/4-28 SH set screw and just put the zerk back in for greasing.

• Like 7

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

I usually replace the center zerks with a 1/4-28 SH set screw and just put the zerk back in for greasing.

I would not be able to find the zerk when the time came!

Brings up a question though;   how often do all y'all grease them?

Ed Kennell
42 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

I would not be able to find the zerk when the time came!

I keep my grease guns, extensions, 1/8" pipe street ells, set screws, and zerk fittings in a storage container....yep a 5 gallon bucket.

Brings up a question though;   how often do all y'all grease them?

I grease mine anytime the deck is off the mower to sharpen blades or clean and oil for winter storage.   Usually 2X/year.    I have 3 mower tractors that I rotate usage.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Handy Don
53 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

1 hour ago, Jeff-C175 said:

How often do all y'all grease them?

Annually at the end of the season. Deck off and cleaned, blades sharpened, spindles greased, belt checked. Then stored 'til spring.

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
9 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Annually

I may be over doing it then...  I typically give all the zerks a squeeze or two on roughly a monthly basis.  I never see anything 'oozing' though, well except for the front wheel bearings which I just converted to sealed units, so that's off the list now.

• Like 1

Handy Don
1 hour ago, Jeff-C175 said:

I may be over doing it then...  I typically give all the zerks a squeeze or two on roughly a monthly basis.  I never see anything 'oozing' though, well except for the front wheel bearings which I just converted to sealed units, so that's off the list now.

Considering how many decks survive for years (decades?) with NO greasing, I figured once a year was adequate and easy to remember. Just saved you some minutes!

• Thanks 1

Ike

Thanks for all the great feedback!  I have some work to do.

• Like 1