Paul Dietrich

Belt pully noise....

Paul Dietrich

Today I was tracking down a noise that I notice coming from the front drive pully on the motor. The small guide held on with two 1/4" bolts has a piece of material that has worn down to the rivets. The rivets are then rubbing on the pully making the noise. I simply removed this guide noise problem solved. Question: What purpose does this guide serve? This pully is not going anywhere. 

oldredrider

That is not a guide, it's a brake pad. Used to stop pto pulley when disengaged. 

• Like 3

Jeff-C175
2 hours ago, Paul Dietrich said:

What purpose does this guide serve?

As OldRed sed, it's a brake pad, but honestly, it doesn't really serve THAT much purpose. 

I bought a new one for mine since it was worn down and took the old one off.  Both the old one and the new one are still sitting on my work bench and when I disengage the PTO without the part installed,  the deck slows and stops about the same as it always had.

I'll put it back on someday 'just because', but IMO it's just not that important a part.

If you want a new one, K&B horse parts has them.  In our 'vendor' section.

@76c12091520h

Edited by Jeff-C175

oliver2-44

If you don't have an  belt driven attachment on the it, the PTO will continue to spin for quite some time if you don't have a brake on it. 

Jeff-C175
3 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

If you don't have an  belt driven attachment on the it, the PTO will continue to spin for quite some time if you don't have a brake on it. 

True, but I'm not sure that's a problem?