Brockport Bill

Heat Resistant paint needed for Hoods/Grills?? Yes/No ??

Brockport Bill

I just had a C175 hood/grill unit professionally sand blasted -- intending to paint with spray cans ---- the blaster guy said it took forever to get the paint off - I asked why.... and said the engine heat causes the paint to adhere much differently -- in effect, over time,  it "bakes" the paint on from the heat. So my question is - do i need to use a "heat resistant" paint on a hood? Either the inside, or also the top of the hood ? Or... will regular spray paint can be ok?

oliver2-44

Regular spray paint will be fine, many on here use it.

Use a heat resistant paint on the muffler and exhaust pipe.

The way the 80's and later WH's paint comes off in large flakes/sheets it acts like maybe it was an early version of a powder coat or an electrostatic applied wet coat that was baked.  When I sand blasted my sons 312-8 some came off very easy/some very hard on all body parts. I switched to using an e-tank to strip the paint and derust it, then did a final blast to clean it up and put a profile on the metal for better paint adhesion.

• Like 2

Achto
1 hour ago, Brockport Bill said:

do i need to use a "heat resistant" paint on a hood? Either the inside, or also the top of the hood ? Or... will regular spray paint can be ok?

Regular spray paint will hold up well. I use a single stage acrylic enamel on all of my resto's and never had a problem. Many people has also used Rustoleum which is a alkyd enamel and have had no issues.

Like stated above, high temp paint is only required for the exhaust.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, Achto said:

Rustoleum

Trina uses Rust-Oleum 2X for most everything.  

We use either high heat or BBQ paint for exhaust. 

• Like 1