Andrea

transmission belt spring

Bentoolong

If it were mine, I would definitely go after the idler pulley. I see that the belt doesn't ride in the center of that pulley. That may not be a big deal but a bad bearing in the idler would cause the pulley to move around (tip). Also I see the linkage/pedal jumping around a little. With a new belt and straight pulleys, I'm not sure that should be happening. Something is causing the effective length of the belt to shorten and then lengthen. That could be caused by a damaged/dirty/pulley or a bad bearing. Since the idler pulley is the easiest to deal with, take that off and check it. 

I'm not that familiar with your machine but a vert shaft machine will have the motor pulley supported by the engine bearings (lubricated) Same with the other end (transmission). The idler lives a tough/dirty life.

I think you are getting close to getting this working well. Not sure why your engine is doing what it is doing but take care of your drive system. That may be part of your issue.

Bentoolong

Andrea
25 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Not sure what you mean by 'backlash' Andrea,  could this be interpreted to mean 'resistance to turning' ?

That idler pulley should freely turn with no resistance.  Smoothly and without any noise or 'rough' feeling.

Sorry....i was wrong on translating from italian language to english....backlash was not correct. I suppose that the correct term is "clearance". there's too clearance in in the ball bearing of the idler pulley. The movement is not fluid, it seem  to turn the yogurth witha a spoon.

• Excellent 1

Gregor
3 minutes ago, Andrea said:

Sorry....i was wrong on translating from italian language to english....backlash was not correct. I suppose that the correct term is "clearance". there's too clearance in in the ball bearing of the idler pulley. The movement is not fluid, it seem  to turn the yogurth witha a spoon.

Speaking Italian might be better.We can maybe translate that.

• Like 1

Bentoolong

I would replace the idler pulley. If you don't have experience with what the bearing should feel like, bring it to a trusted mechanic and they will let you know if it is faulty.

I'd also check the pin/bolt/shaft that the idler bracket rotates around. make sure that is clean and has a smooth movement.

Bentoolong

Edited by Bentoolong
  • Like 1

Jeff-C175
5 minutes ago, Gregor said:

.We can maybe translate that.

I'm not sure what Mrs. Google translate would do with it!

Andrea
3 minutes ago, Bentoolong said:

I would replace the idler pulley. If you don't have experience with what the bearing should feel like, bring it to a trusted mechanic and they will let you know it is faulty.

I'd also check the pin/bolt/shaft that the idler bracket rotates around. make sure that is clean and has a smooth movement.

Bentoolong

Ok. 
I proceed to search for a new belt tensioner pulley. The belt tensioner arm is ok, I have cleaned and greased it. Thank you very much for the advice.

Jeff-C175
11 minutes ago, Andrea said:

I suppose that the correct term is "clearance". there's too clearance in in the ball bearing of the idler pulley.

OK, I think we understand now!  In other words, the pulley rattles around, it is loose on, the bolt that holds it to the bar?

That should not be.  That bearing may show a tiny bit of 'play' or 'movement' about the bolt (or the center part of the pulley bearing) but if that idler pulley is LOOSE on that bolt then it must be replaced.

Andrea
Just now, Jeff-C175 said:

OK, I think we understand now!  In other words, the pulley rattles around, it is loose on, the bolt that holds it to the bar?

That should not be.  That bearing may show a tiny bit of 'play' or 'movement' about the bolt (or the center part of the pulley bearing) but if that idler pulley is LOOSE on that bolt then it must be replaced.

Yes sir. the ball bearing placed in the idler pulley rattles and move. I think i will proceed with the replacement, thanks!

• Like 3

Andrea
Pulley arrived, tomorrow I will proceed with the replacement

20210812_191312.jpg

• Like 3

Andrea

I installed the new pulley. The noises have disappeared and the belt now no longer has axial movements. 

thanks everyone for the help

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2