Sign in to follow this  
Prater

1960 Wheel Horse

Prater

Thinking of making a trip this weekend to look at this 1960 Model. Would like some suggestions on what to look for when dealing with the older horses, like hard to find pieces and known stress flaws I should be aware of. I appreciate the help of everyone on the board.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

W9JAB

:thumbs: IF IT LOOKS ANYTHING LIKE THAT PIX, RUN LIKE HELL!!! :thumbs2:

TJ

I think the hardest part to find would be the choke and throttle control. The other parts I think you can find.....for a price.

Looks pretty straight and solid. :thumbs2:

Gene_S

Being a Suburban 550 the motor would be the hardest thing to find (my opinion). Looks like you have the correct 5-1/2 motor but are all the parts there for it? I had a 551 for awhile and gave up trying to find a 5-1/2 hp lawson and sold it. It has a new home with Drydock...

Suburban 550

I agree with Tom and Gene, the throttle-choke assembly and engine parts for the Lauson 5.5 h.p. are hard to find. For the most part if you look hard enough eventually you'll probably find everything you'll need but with a price. I've seen worse but with time and patience and a little TLC I'm sure you'll have it lookin'good. Mine was a basket case when I brought it home and now it's my favorite. Here are the before and after pics:

12-28-200845827PM.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

Gene_S

Just wanted to say "WOW" Suburban 550, thats a great looking horse!!! :thumbs2: Good job!!! :thumbs:

linen beige

I think what you have found is a pieced together tractor. The seat is not original, the hood's paint reveals a different history than the frame, the engine is not all there, the lift cable is gone, that's a '61 mower deck, etc. I'd check the tool box for signs of having held a battery and solinoid before I could be sure that it is even a 550. Is there an ignition switch on the hood? In other words, is it wired for a Lauson?

As already mentioned, the throttle/choke controls will probably be the hardest to find parts. If you can't find a Lauson or the parts to rebuild this one, a K-91 Kohler can be mounted (turning it into a 400) and nobody will know but you. The steering wheel may be elusive. The steering shaft is an easy fix. The fenders that go with that tool box are not hard to find (the originals did not have the second set of holes that were later used to mount these same parts on the Lawn Rangers. Lawn Ranger fenders will work fine, but the extra holes aren't "correct" for '60.).

Front wheels, at least the correct ones without wheel weight holes, are pretty hard to come by. Belt guards and exhaust shields are pricey but reproductions are out there.

Some of the weak points of these models are the fuel tank mounting straps, the fuel tanks were prone to rust out, the "wings' on the hood stand where the hood mounts were prone to breaking off along the top edge, the seam where the grill meets the hood often split. The spindles tend to wear down where the pivot fits into the axle. These can be built up with welding and ground back to shape.

Check the transmission closely. Make sure that it shifts smoothly and rolls at least a full rotation of the rear wheels. If the diff is bad it can roll nearly a full turn before one wheel locks up. Brake bands are getting harder to find. Leaking seals are not too hard to replace and the axle bearings are readily available.

Prater

Thanks Guys, I passed on this one. I actually forwarded this to GWG here in the city since it may have some parts that his brother needs for that Suburban he found.

HorseFixer

Thanks Guys, I passed on this one. I actually forwarded this to GWG here in the city since it may have some parts that his brother needs for that Suburban he found.

I have found many times it takes a couple trators to make 1 good un! :thumbs2:

gwgdog66

Thanks Steven. I forwarded this to my brother.