Bill Winn

Axle End Play

Jeff-C175
5 minutes ago, Bill Winn said:

Does anyone have any sage advise about replacing my axle seals? The new seals are in and I've already drilled and tapped the second se screw hole in each hub. (complete with milled flat landing area for the jam nut).

What's the best way to pull them.

Can I expect a loss of hydraulic fluid?

Can I use the hub to drive the new seals into place.

Thanks Bill

I've always used a small flat blade screwdriver to pop them out.  They've always come out easily.  You could use a 'seal puller' tool I suppose but I don't think that's necessary.

I don't recall much if any fluid loss when I've done it.  Maybe a dribble or two.  Put some newspaper on the floor if you've got nice clean concrete.

Yes, absolutely use the hub as a slide hammer.

Masking tape over the end of the axle before you slide them on so you don't cut any gouges in the new seal.

Bill Winn
2 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

I've always used a small flat blade screwdriver to pop them out.  They've always come out easily.  You could use a 'seal puller' tool I suppose but I don't think that's necessary.

I don't recall much if any fluid loss when I've done it.  Maybe a dribble or two.  Put some newspaper on the floor if you've got nice clean concrete.

Yes, absolutely use the hub as a slide hammer.

Masking tape over the end of the axle before you slide them on so you don't cut any gouges in the new seal.

Gracias!

Jeff-C175

If you have any worn out hubs you are wondering what to do with, and an old Revolutionary War Cannonball laying around, the old hub makes a nice display stand for it!

This is a 9 lb British Broadarrow that I found in the back field with metal detector.  

image.png.5764e88619ffa05fa98be6012f202e57.png

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

Jeff-C175
7 minutes ago, Bill Winn said:

Gracias!

De nada!

Bill Winn

Okay so here's a comparison of my old seal and the new one that arrived today from Wheel Horse Stable.

Is this a problem or can I just flush fit the new seal and roll on?

seals.JPG

Edited by Bill Winn
forgot picture

Bill Winn
20 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

If you have any worn out hubs you are wondering what to do with, and an old Revolutionary War Cannonball laying around, the old hub makes a nice display stand for it!

This is a 9 lb British Broadarrow that I found in the back field with metal detector.  

That is an amazing find! I recently officiated a cousin's wedding to a fellow whose family owns Old Field cir. 1740. It is the house wherein Patrick Henry met Thomas Jefferson for the first time at a Christmas party. Lafayette visited there during the war and encamped his troops on the property. Sounds like I need to do some metal detecting there. What battle do you think that shot was from?

Jeff-C175
6 minutes ago, Bill Winn said:

here's a comparison of my old seal and the new one

Forgot the pic?

Bill Winn

forgot the picture edited post above

Jeff-C175
8 minutes ago, Bill Winn said:

Is this a problem or can I just flush fit the new seal and roll on?

Not a problem.  I wish we could still get the wider OEM seals but all that's available now is what you got.

I've had the skinny ones installed for years now and they're just fine.

Edited by Jeff-C175

Bill Winn
Just now, Jeff-C175 said:

Not a problem.  I wish we could still get the wider OEM seals but all that's available now is what you got.

okay thanks

Jeff-C175
38 minutes ago, Bill Winn said:

What battle do you think that shot was from?

If one looks at the history of this area, there is an old building (now a restaurant) that was a grist mill at the time.  Directly across from that stood an Iron Forge.  That forge was strategic in that they were making stuff to throw at the British and stockpiling powder.

At some point the British assaulted the forge three times in three days but were unable to gain control or destroy it.  That ball was undoubtedly fired during one of those assaults.

If you like History, here's a booklet to read.  My home is about a quarter mile from the falls, old mill and where the forge stood.

https://www.tintonfalls.com/government/documents/department-documents/historic-preservation-documents/389-tfhistory/file

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Excellent 1

Bill Winn
1 hour ago, Jeff-C175 said:

If one looks at the history of this area, there is an old building (now a restaurant) that was a grist mill at the time.  Directly across from that stood an Iron Forge.  That forge was strategic in that they were making stuff to throw at the British and stockpiling powder.

At some point the British assaulted the forge three times in three days but were unable to gain control or destroy it.  That ball was undoubtedly fired during one of those assaults.

If you like History, here's a booklet to read.  My home is about a quarter mile from the falls, old mill and where the forge stood.

https://www.tintonfalls.com/government/documents/department-documents/historic-preservation-documents/389-tfhistory/file

That's fascinating. "Never took it" I love that spirit! It is in need of rekindling I think.

stevasaurus

You need to have the needle bearing set back far enough to accept that new seal.  Most likely it is not back far enough.  Look for the SKF seal not the National seal. You can measure to see if that seal will fit before it hits the bearing...it needs to be flush with the outside of the axle housing.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 2

stevasaurus

You can not tap the bearing in more to accept that seal without opening the transmission...find the 1/8" depth seal if that is the room you have for a seal.  If you mess up your bearing, you are dropping the trans and replacing a bearing.  :thumbs:

• Like 1

lynnmor

I set the seal in a bit, having it flush will have the hub rubbing it.

Jeff-C175
56 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

I set the seal in a bit, having it flush will have the hub rubbing it.

Bill, the new seal was the skinny red one, right?

If so, you're fine.

I suspect that Steve is thinking the wider one is the new one.

• Thanks 1

Bill Winn
11 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Bill, the new seal was the skinny red one, right?

If so, you're fine.

I suspect that Steve is thinking the wider one is the new one.

Yep. New ag tires mounted, new seals in, hubs painted, rims painted, and pictures soon after this rain clears.

• Excellent 2

stevasaurus

Yes, I was thinking the wider one was the new one.  :notworthy:

• Like 1

Bill Winn
25 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

Yes, I was thinking the wider one was the new one.  :notworthy:

I figured that was the case. My fault for not showing the side I had to roll up and destroy with pliers to get it out. LOL

• Thanks 1

squonk
20 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

send me your address! 125lb! :)

hbink.jpg.81eb50d27155b15182a51fe3b41620ce.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jeff-C175
19 minutes ago, squonk said:

send me your address! 125lb! 

:text-lol:

I'm still trying to figure out what that thing is/was.  My suspicion is from a ship dock.  To throw a rope over to moor a ship.

You could have it chrome plated and put it in your garden as one of those 'gazing balls' that seem too popular.

image.png.a832877cd9a01989485e5e437baeaa52.png

• Like 1

Bach-Ed

I just looked up this topic as the brake shaft seal is leaking on my 5053.   And i was going to ask for tips in pulling the seal, but it sounds like a no sweat.  So I think I will try an awl to pop it out.  I like the advice about recessing in in a bit.  As it seems the drum could rub the seal if it isn't recessed a bit.