DCwom

Water gusher

DCwom

So I've finally got to the transmission on my dad's old Raider 12. I took the trans oil fill plug out and water came gushing out, lots of clear water until it slowed to a trickle then a mixture of oil & water, not really unexpected other than the volume of water at the oil fill level, this has sat for a while outside. But my real question is the drain plug on the bottom of the trans, I can't really see it, but after a bunch of blurry phone pictures I think its a set screw type of plug, since a 1/2 wrench slips on it but a 7/16 doesn't fit. I tried my largest Allen key but I think its too small. Anybody have an idea what size Allen this pug could be?

Also Its a 6 speed, 3 speeds with a hi/low lever.

Dennis

Edited by DCwom
update trans type

pfrederi

1/4" ALLEN WRENCH

InkedIMG_0217_LI.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Jeff-C175

Dennis, I've probably got one you can have.  I'll trade it for a lift flag.  Wanna come pick it up?

@DCwom Yes, I've got a long handle one (which you will need for leverage) that you can have.  I'll message you my address if you want it.  Bring lift flag... :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by Jeff-C175

oliver2-44

That transmission should really be split and cleaned.  But if you've had it running and it is shifting freely, you might try a couple of flushes with diesel or kerosene.  Then drive it around in all gears to warn it up and then drain, refill, drive, drain repeat until fairly clean fluid comes out.  When draining remember to lift the front of the horse as high as possible to drain the area in front of the hump.  Fill with 2 quarts of 80/90 gear oil of the brand of your choice.  

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Jeff-C175
2 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

gear oil

@DCwom I've got a couple quarts of gear oil you can have also...  One stop shopping!.

• Like 1

DCwom

Ok, I managed to flush the trans a couple of times with Kerosene and now thanks to Jeff-C I've got some gear oil to do a final flush, however I've got a new problem, I've been using the side fill hole plug on the transmission then I found the fill plug/tube under the seat under a bunch of leaves, but I can't get it loose, its 1/2 square but there isn't any room to maneuver an open end wrench in the seat box and I can't use a socket on a square head, any ideas? I was only able to get about a quart in using the side hole.

20210724_121218.jpg

Edited by DCwom

gwest_ca

They do make 8-point sockets but may be hard to find.

Water in the oil gets there by following the shifter down to a damaged boot. Should be replaced. With the shifter out of the transmission that is another good place to add oil.

Garry

Jeff-C175

Dennis, I have (but need to find then) some 8 point sockets.  Can you get a measurement on that?  Or maybe someone already knows the size.

I hope I can find those sockets and they didn't get thrown out!

953 nut
10 hours ago, DCwom said:

ound the fill plug/tube under the seat under a bunch of leaves, but I can't get it loose, its 1/2 square

A 12 point socket should work.

• Like 1

oldredrider

Why not just use a crow's foot?

squonk

12 pt socket will fit but on stubborn plugs they may break and slip. 8 pt sockets can be ordered thru NAPA, Grainger, & McMaster-Carr. I have a complete set from working on pumps.

DCwom
8 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Dennis, I have (but need to find then) some 8 point sockets.  Can you get a measurement on that?  Or maybe someone already knows the size.

I hope I can find those sockets and they didn't get thrown out!

Jeff,

It's definitely 1/2", I was able to get a 1/2" wrench on it.

DCwom
1 hour ago, oldredrider said:

Why not just use a crow's foot?

I thought of that, but don't have a set, I wasn't sure it there was some trick I might have overlooked.

Jayzauto

If that plug has a 1/2" head on it, Try using a 1/2" socket extension on it, upside down.   Use a length that will clear the tool box, then use an adjustable wrench, or a Long 1/2" wrench on the male end of the extension.    Save's running around looking for hard to find sockets to fit the application.  That trick also works for reaching up under lawn mower decks to drain the oil.

GLuck, Jay

• Excellent 1

Handy Don
5 hours ago, squonk said:

12 pt socket will fit but on stubborn plugs they may break and slip. 8 pt sockets can be ordered thru NAPA, Grainger, & McMaster-Carr. I have a complete set from working on pumps.

Consider deep reach if you are getting a second set of sockets in sizes you already have but with 8 pts. I got a set of deep 6 pts. that I use on all "tough" nuts and bolts--they are stronger, impact capable, and I've yet to round off a nut or bolt using them.