JeffryPMR

PTO disengages.

JeffryPMR

My 1987 520-H PTO  handle disengages when I am mowing. A new belt didn't help. I have never had this issue before. The handle kicks back and shuts off the PTO. Any ideas? Thank you!

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Welcome to Red Square.

The biggest cause of that is the pto clutch pressure is too low. Remove the trunnion at the end of the rod and tighten it about 2 turns for a start. When you apply the pto the handle should go over center and snap down with a bit of authority.

The trick is to get it tight enough that the clutch does not slip under load which accelerates wear on the clutch lining. They sometimes emit a high pitched squeal when they slip. Time to tighten more.

Garry

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

roadapples

:WRS:

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs: Jeffry.      Try Garrys suggestion and please report back.     BTW, I believe  the first 520s were made in 1988.

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

peter lena

@JeffryPMR, agree with gwest above, on the action / function of that lever , notice that the single pull spring on that , works 2 ways , pulled as you push forward ,  and pulled again as it goes down forward . check that all related linkage points are not rusty , but lubricated . that lever should have  a forward downward pull that holds it in place . lubricate the trunnion on the thread rod , make small adjustments . should work easily , yet hold firmly in place . pete