dcairns560

D160 brake adjustment

dcairns560

I just picked up my first tractor, a1977 D160.  

Im attempting to get the brake working correctly.  According to the repair manual I got, there should be a brake band on the side of the left side of the transmission.  I dont see anything resembling whats described.  There is a lever on the side of the trans that is connected to the brake linkage.

What am I missing?  Thanks!

gwest_ca

Welcome to Red Square.

Mind posting the manual number you have?

There is a 1978 service manual that may help. Click on the picture in the link to get to it.

Some models use the hydro transmission for dynamic breaking so there is no brake band or drum.

Steering brakes were also an option for the D-Series.

Garry

pacer

Probably doesnt have a 'conventional' park brake -- they used an internal 'meshing?' of gears, and, are notorious for doing serious damage to the gear box when left engaged and trying to move the tractor. I believe the general consensus is to just never use the thing, or even better, disconnect or remove it. (I remove mine first excuse I have to go into the tranny)

In fact if yours happens to have the 3 position motion lever (fwd, rev, park) be wise to block off the drop down park position, even if you dont damage the gears by trying oo use it, the thing will tangle the linkage to where it wont work until you stop and fiddle around til you can untangle the linkage.

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

:text-welcomeconfetti:T😎:rs:

:happy-jumpeveryone::happy-jumpeveryone::wwp:

is the an automatic or 8 speed?

dcairns560

Thanks for the replies.  It is an automatic model

The part number on the manual I have is 810063R1, appears to be the same as the one linked above.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Yes that is the same service manual. We do not have the 1977 operator manual but this 1976 is likely the same.

This original parts list is for 1975

Garry

• Like 1

pfrederi

The external band brake was not on the earlier model D series. I believe 1978 was first year to have the brake band.

dcairns560

Ha! I guess that explains why I couldnt find the brake band...

Thanks for the additional manuals.