8 speed 310 Transmission on L-157

Snoopy11

Wonder if this would fit on my L-157?

310 trans on a L-157...?

Don

Edited by Snoopy11
  • Like 1

Maxwell-8

You could do it, but you will need to modifying some stuff. I guess you will gain more speed by putting 310 rims and tires on your L-157.

If you use a 8 speed with L-157 size rims, it will be slower.

Edited by Maxwell-8

kpinnc

The L-157 and 310-8 both use the same spacing on the hubs and same "high side" gearing. Physical fit (4 bolts to frame and Ranger wheels on an 8 speed) is identical.  It's been done many times with no issues. It won't change ground speed between transmissions except you will gain low range. The speed you have on the Ranger before the swap is what you'll have afterward.

The brake band is in a slightly different spot between 4 and 8 speeds, but that is a minor fix.

We've all seen Bill's "Mighty Lawn Ranger 8 Speed", so it is definitely doable. I've got one myself, but mine now has standard wheels front and back (12 and 8 respectively) to capitalize on the L-157 steering. The Rangers turn much sharper than standard axle/ spindle combos- I assume to make up for those tiny wheels.

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 1

kpinnc

Actually- I just thought of something: The L157 hubs are different. When I originally put an 8 speed on mine I had small 8 inch rims with the 5 bolt pattern.

But, the 3 bolt hubs will fit the one inch axles of the 310-8 tranny. You'll just have to swap them to keep the stock L157 wheels.

My memory isn't as sharp as it used to be!:huh:

Snoopy11
5 hours ago, Maxwell-8 said:

You could do it, but you will need to modifying some stuff. I guess you will gain more speed by putting 310 rims and tires on your L-157.

If you use a 8 speed with L-157 size rims, it will be slower.

Oh, okay. Yeah, slower is never better in my book... LOL

Don

• Haha 1

Snoopy11
5 hours ago, kpinnc said:

The L-157 and 310-8 both use the same spacing on the hubs and same "high side" gearing. Physical fit (4 bolts to frame and Ranger wheels on an 8 speed) is identical.  It's been done many times with no issues. It won't change ground speed between transmissions except you will gain low range. The speed you have on the Ranger before the swap is what you'll have afterward.

The brake band is in a slightly different spot between 4 and 8 speeds, but that is a minor fix.

We've all seen Bill's "Mighty Lawn Ranger 8 Speed", so it is definitely doable. I've got one myself, but mine now has standard wheels front and back (12 and 8 respectively) to capitalize on the L-157 steering. The Rangers turn much sharper than standard axle/ spindle combos- I assume to make up for those tiny wheels.

Yeah, mine does turn sharply when I am going at very low speed. When I am turning and step on the throttle... it just wants to take off and go straight.... (the front wheels pick up off the ground with the slightest throttle input... so very little steering is possible).

I did do a burnout yesterday with some golf kart slicks.... should have made a video...

Don

tunahead72
1 hour ago, Snoopy11 said:

... I did do a burnout yesterday with some golf kart slicks.... should have made a video...

Never too late. :popcorn:

The Tuul Crib

:angry-tappingfoot:

littleredrider

I did it to 2 rangers I think. If not one. It was pretty easy. Brake is slightly different, need to drill a hole for the low/hi range stick, and if you have 1 1/8" axles finding rims can be tough, if keeping with 8" rims. I found a set off a JD, hub hole was too small, but made spacers to fit right. But if you have 1" axles, then the stock hubs will go right on. I changed the pulley's on mine, still had all kinds of power (maybe the 13 horse HF helped) but would haul some butt in hi gears. And still have power lol. Miss that 'lil bugger. 

dclarke

I have an 8 speed in my Ranger, I had the 1-1/8" axles turned down and used the Ranger hubs. Here's a pic of the brake rod setup I used with the 8 speed. 

BED97322-DFFF-42E6-81D1-BD879B957193.jpeg

F2FC7D99-9CF8-4E78-B4DC-BB98379EDC3E.jpeg

• Like 2

kpinnc
2 hours ago, dclarke said:

I have an 8 speed in my Ranger, I had the 1-1/8" axles turned down and used the Ranger hubs. Here's a pic of the brake rod setup I used with the 8 speed. 

Nice! That's one way to do it! :thumbs:

• Thanks 1

gwest_ca

Seeing a Lawn Ranger modification takes me back to the Yahoo days when a member had one with a front end loader and backhoe added. It was one sweet build.

Garry

Snoopy11
16 hours ago, tunahead72 said:

Once it stops raining, I might give it another whirl. I'm running out of rubber on those slicks though. I chocked the front wheels with a 2x4 when I did it last time.

4 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

Seeing a Lawn Ranger modification takes me back to the Yahoo days when a member had one with a front end loader and backhoe added. It was one sweet build.

Garry

I wonder how the front end (tires and such) will hold up to the abuse of a front end loader? I WOULD LOVE A BACKHOE!!!! :happy-bouncyblue:I thought about getting one of those tow behind models... but I don't really have the 3 grand to dish out for it... LOL

16 hours ago, The Tuul Crib said:

I know, I know. The problem is, I have a gravel driveway... so the only place to do a burnout is on the street (of course, taking my life in my hands hoping that I don't get run-over by the morons that live in the neighborhood) or on the pool concrete, and risk losing control and doing a freeform, freestyle jump into the pool. SO>>> yeah... kinda hard to do...:laughing-jumpingpurple:

You know my neighbors love me... 7,000+ RPM engine on wheels. Good thing I live in the woods... :banana-rock:

Don

• Like 1

Snoopy11
16 hours ago, tunahead72 said:

16 hours ago, The Tuul Crib said:

By the way guys, I am still working on my Duromax engine... trying to get some extra horses out of it. I did run it on the bench yesterday after removing the low oil sensor and governor gear. the engine is so powerful... it actually lifted the end of my workbench up when I cracked the throttle (I have the motor mounted to the bench). I am still running the cast rod at the moment.... and it pushed way past 4,000 with 3/4 throttle left untapped (I decided not to push my luck with the cast rod). SO... yeah, I am thinking Billet rod is in order (if only ARC rods did not cost so much). 139$ for a billet rod (excellent quality though, I will say).

I have seen other guys build this engine, much like what I am building, and hit 40+ horsepower... so I know that this engine is rocking. :woohoo: However, I do not plan to really lean on this tractor with the Duromax engine. Reason being, I don't want to break anything in the transmission. I am only going to apply power slowly, so as not to stress any components. My Tillotson engines push 20-25 horsepower (maybe more) and I rarely make a full throttle run. I want my transmission to last as long as possible after its rebuild. Most people think I am nuts, but just to show how much power I have, I can spin the tires going from 4,000 rpm to 7,000 with my Stage 4. Having said that, I know that I will spin the tires way before I get all the power down with the Duromax... particularly since this is the case with my Tillotson 25+ horse engines. BUT even though I know that I will spin the tires, I don't want to pressure the transmission or wear my AGRI tires. I just want to build the Duromax to have the power and be different than everyone else. Plus, I have to get this engine to fit on the tractor... which is going to be a feat in itself :wink:

I am hoping to get the billet rod for the Duromax at some point... (just can't shell out the cash right now after buying the engine).

I need a sponsor...:ychain:

Don

kpinnc
11 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

Garry

I remember that! Little tractor was a beast!