Oldskool

New 2 Deeres

ebinmaine

Yes sir. Underneath the carburetor there's a little piece of tin bolted to the engine that's maybe two by three inches.

Pay VERY close attention to the orientation of the pieces as they come out. One of them has a drip hole that MUST be in the bottom.

That allows the oil vapor that condenses on the breather to drip back down into the crankcase.

Been a while since I've had one of those apart. I think you're going to need a couple of gaskets and some breather material?

Lee1977
On 5/19/2021 at 7:04 AM, ebinmaine said:

Do those have a low range transmission for very slow moving?

They have the variator It will get down slower then an 8 speed.

• Like 1

Johndeereelfman

The o-ring on your dip stick has shrank and won't hold the stick inside the tube. I haven't tried to buy any lately but from what I hear, the 8hp dip sticks are no longer available from John Deere or Kohler. 

As for the transmission setting on either of your tractors, use 1st gear with the variable speed lever pulled almost all the way back (2nd notch) when tilling or blowing snow. Your transmissions have 4 forward gears and a reverse. The variable speed lever gives you 7 different speed levels for each of your transmission gears. 

I have plenty of knowledge about these old tractors and currently have 26 of them in my collection. If I can help out in any way, please don't be afraid to ask. Good luck! 

• Like 2