leeave96

60 Inch Deck Questions

leeave96

I’ve ran 36 RD, 42 RD, 42 SD and 48 SD decks on my Wheelhorse tractors, but never a 60 inch deck.

Is the 60 inch deck a good mower?  How’s the quality of cut?  What is the max height of cut?  Will it handle tiller grass and how is the cut on rolling lumpy ground?  I seem to recall they use a thicker/wider belt than the other mowing decks?

Any other info and sage advice regarding the 60 inch mowing decks is much appreciate,

BTW - would be running it on a swept forward axle 520H.

Thanks!

Bill

• Like 1

lynnmor

I ran a 520H with a 60” for years without issue.  It cuts well and doesn’t clog too much with all that space in the cutting chamber.  It really seams that the power needed isn’t all that much more than the 48”.  Obviously decks don’t bend in the middle to allow for uneven contours, but there is a roller at the rear center that helps prevent scalping.  My property is rough in places but that caused no problems.

The deck belt is heavier that the mule belt, be sure that you get the proper spring loaded mule drive.

• Like 2

kpinnc

Probably the best looking cut of any deck made by Wheel Horse. That being said, I think Toro actually made the deck...

If your Onan is strong, it will cut heavy grass no problem. It has plenty of anti-scalp rollers too. 

Only complaint I can think of- it's bleeping heavy. You won't wrestle it around like a 42 or 48. It is a beast.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Adams94

A good 60” does an amazing job.  So does the older 60” on the 195s and they are a lot lighter but now dad and I both mow with 60s on a 520h

3B7BA1D1-F97F-46B9-AE6E-4A607C8EBCC8.jpeg

577C7682-858D-494E-9AEE-4484F6E80BB8.jpeg

9D86B31F-29B7-4581-B0AB-944E5E1F916E.jpeg

Edited by Adams94
Add picture
  • Excellent 1

leeave96

Thanks everyone for the replies- very much appreciated!!!!

Mr. Knoop

For what its worth, I have been using a 520h with 60'' deck for awhile, some positives and some negatives. If your grass is dry enough and not too long, it seems to cut just fine. If not, I tend to have to keep the rpms all the way up 3200 or so and my ground speed has to stay real slow. Sometimes I wonder if I would be faster/better off using a 48'' deck. My deck does give me some scalping in a few areas on my lawn. If I had a good 48'' deck I would likely put that on over the 60. Its a heavy unit, somewhere around 350# if I recall. Not a big deal to slide under and hook up though.

lynnmor
4 hours ago, Mr. Knoop said:

For what its worth, I have been using a 520h with 60'' deck for awhile, some positives and some negatives. If your grass is dry enough and not too long, it seems to cut just fine. If not, I tend to have to keep the rpms all the way up 3200 or so and my ground speed has to stay real slow. Sometimes I wonder if I would be faster/better off using a 48'' deck. My deck does give me some scalping in a few areas on my lawn. If I had a good 48'' deck I would likely put that on over the 60. Its a heavy unit, somewhere around 350# if I recall. Not a big deal to slide under and hook up though.

You are to mow at full engine speed of 3600 RPM.  Make sure that the blades are sharp with the correct angle and balanced.  The older decks had a wear strip on the front corners and they would scalp more easily, the later models had wheels that are to be adjusted for the cutting height, see your manual for details.  Also, be sure to level the deck front to rear.

• Like 1