FrankinWNY

Eaton 7 transmission

FrankinWNY

How and where do you drain the oil from the pump?

stevasaurus

I'm not sure on the Eatons, but on the Wheel Horse transaxles with the Sunstrand pumps, the transaxle is the reservoir for the pump hydraulic oil and it drains from the bottom of the transaxle.  Do you have the breakdown for your horse, it should show you if there is a drain plug on the transaxle???  We also have an Eaton Manual in the "Manual" Section under transmissions.  Hope that helps.  :occasion-xmas:

shallowwatersailor

Is it contaminated or are you just changing it to change it? The easiest method is to use a turkey baster to remove the oil but you may only get 25% that way. But there is a small allen head screw below the transmission housing (not the transaxle as that is 10W-30 motor oil) that can be used for draining the transmission oil. It may be difficult to see.

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

gwest_ca

Is this one for your application? Click on the picture in the link

Page 9 Fig.12 shows the drain for the pump and the transaxle.

JoeM

There is an o-ring plug under the pump behind the fan. It is not to easy to get to but can be done. I made a wrench but a chisel and a few light taps will loose it and it can be removed with the fingertips.

You can see the drain in the first pic it is further in toward the inside of the pump. (it has the most light on it)

IMG_3759.JPG.8bcde61107fcca8fc61c186e22972ea3.JPG

IMG_3760.JPG.9a369d215cb519bf5bd4daa5d27506a5.JPG

IMG_3761.JPG.fa1531343c63b2ac5a5eff524c679ab5.JPG

• Excellent 2

Maxwell-8

How do you fill the pump back up?

JoeM
32 minutes ago, Maxwell-8 said:

How do you fill the pump back up?

Add through the reservoir on the top.

Since the one I was working on had moisture in the oil I left the plug out and poured some through. Replaced the plug and added to the highest level. Ran it at idle and rechecked.

It did not hold much and I used 10w-30 oil.

• Thanks 1

shallowwatersailor

I remember doing a lot of research when I had a tractor with an Eaton 7. The closest to the original fluid is 20W oil.

Tuneup

I've drained mine twice. The first time, I removed it to clean in there - a grassy and oily mess. You can remove the large bottom plug to get the same drain effect. I did that the second time - quite easy. It's easy to damage, though. There is a rebuilder on, cough!, eBay that says nothing less than Mobil 1 15W-50. I have done so and it's quieter and smoother. Also, fill it at the top of the pump first and hand rotate it in both directions until it is full. It doesn't take much. Add the cleaned reservoir and top it off. The reservoir flow is so slow that you'll risk damage to the pump in letting it fill from the reservoir over time. Well, that's my 516H experience and that little pump is running well in my hilly yard with 14 gallons in the tires.