Crazyredhorse

Bad belt life 252 h

Crazyredhorse

Is there some way to check hydro,rear axle on my 252h without tearing into it.like I said before in post I cant find.i am having premature drive belt failures.ive checked pulleys and getting new tensioner spring but cant seem to find a problem.motor pulley has some pitting see if I can find a new one to weld on part discontinued but dont think that's it.so I'm wondering if something in rear end is dragging and making belts go.should it spin free with wheels off ground or somthing like that never tore into a rear end on tractor before.

Maxwell-8

I would take off the belt, and check if everything is turning smooth.

On the belt: is the v-sidewearing out (maybe on one side?) or is the flat side wearing? 

gwest_ca

All I can find on the transmission drive belt is in the transmission service manual starting on page 7.

Vertical engine shaft and horizontal driven hydro shaft.

Transmission drive belt 109428 - (HA x 76" or 1/2" x 76") Must be a belt designed to bend backwards over a flat idler.

The wide back of the belt is what contacts the flat idlers.

1988 252-H drive belt SS.jpg

1988 252-H drive belt2 SS.jpg

peter lena

@Crazyredhorse, when ever you have a belt changing angular  direction , that is usually your issue / problem point. you could have badly worn bushings , or bearings shot in the # 10 pulley , probably a combination of both , a very thorough disassembly and a verification of  movement function will show you the problem. while I  do not have that model , I can read a drawing, I  would also suggest using a lubricant that has a hi temp rating , or is polyurea rated , so it will not fail under heat / loading , pete

Crazyredhorse

Belt wears on flat part of inside first back side ok changed in fall and starting to now after 3 cuts.the linkage connects shifter and brakes all together wondering if maybe brakes need adjusting too now looking at diagrams on axle.(brakes sticking) replacing tension spring gonna be tough I'll have to pull all these linkages to get to it.but need to find a way to stand it up to do it.been laying on back dont work to good.and I'll pull all pulleys and check each too.also need to do some welding on deck while it's off. But I'm to the point if I cant resolve this sell it get one with drive belt on side.but love the old girl many years of mowing and kaw.still runs great. thanks for your time guys👍