wallfish

Roof 60 show cruiser

Achto

Awesome project !!!  Will be looking forward to seeing the finished product. :popcorn:

I too have been keeping my eye out for a Palomino. Some day the opportunity and my wallet will line up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pullstart

Cool project, no more tugging a wagon when you have room for a trunk and a buddy!

• Like 2

squonk

You're really going to have to clean out that van John if you expect to haul that anywhere! :teasing-poke:

• Haha 4

oliver2-44
4 hours ago, wallfish said:

but still waiting on the new metal tube to arrive to finish it.

cx

As your aware the tubing is an odd size. When I rebuilt the Ross box on my Cade 180 I used tubing from kids round trampoline legs.  It fits almost perfectly, just a little emery work on the outside and it tapped right in. 

• Like 3

seuadr

why do you guys insist upon showing me stuff i didn't know i needed?! 

• Haha 5

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, seuadr said:

why do you guys insist upon showing me stuff i didn't know i needed?! 

Mr. 'Fish is particularly good at that. 

Do NOT show up at his house. 

You'll end up with a trailer full. 

:lol:

Handy Don
13 hours ago, wallfish said:

The adapter shaft is 1 1/8" and the hole in the end of the drive shaft is 1" so I had to spin down about 1/2" of the shaft end to fit inside the hole. I barely know how to use that lathe but was able to do this. Still need to make sure it's lined up perfect and then weld it together.

That's as far as I got so far.

I see the one end of the universal, is there a universal at the other end, too?  If yes, make sure they are "matched" so that the drive train is constant length.

wallfish
14 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

I see the one end of the universal, is there a universal at the other end, too?  If yes, make sure they are "matched" so that the drive train is constant length.

It needs 2. The trans is a little offset to the engine. Not sure what you mean by "constant length"

IMG_0821.JPG.8c20a32fcb5fe8ffe0e985200e6d2872.JPG

Handy Don
16 minutes ago, wallfish said:

It needs 2. The trans is a little offset to the engine. Not sure what you mean by "constant length"

IMG_0821.JPG.8c20a32fcb5fe8ffe0e985200e6d2872.JPG

The actual term is "phasing". This (and similar) articles explain it. I think you are ok because your shaft is already assembled with both joints properly attached. It's trickier if you have a spline that comes apart.

https://www.beldenuniversal.com/knowledge/technical-information/universal-joint-phasing

and this: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt69zYAcXME

Edited by Handy Don

8ntruck

A u joint is not a constant speed device when it is running at an angle.  The output speed varies a bit as a function of rotation angle and shaft angle.  When using 2 u joints, the yokes of both joints must be in proper angular relationship (phased) with each other so the variation in rotational speeds of the various sections of the drive shaft cancel each other out.

If a drive shaft is not properly phased, vibrations and bearing failures can be expected.  

wallfish

Took some time after work today and finished up the steering box, welded the drive shaft adapter to the drive shaft, a bunch of little odds and ends and was able to set up temporary for a drive. The exhaust is just an open pipe so couldn't let'r rip since it's kind of late. That big Kohler sounds pretty good without a pipe!

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 3

ebinmaine

Excellent.