4wheelsis2toofew

8 speed Wheel Horse tranny in 6x6 skid steer?

4wheelsis2toofew

I have a good working 8 speed Wheel Horse transmission that I would like to try installing into a 6x6 amphibious ATV (Attex) powered by an 11 horse predator motor. The original transaxle is junk, and of a fragile model. A Borg Warner t20 is the normal substitute, but I don't have one of those and I do have a wheel horse 8 speed.

I still have not sorted out what exact transmission it is (number of pinions, axle diameter).

To adapt it I would have to put a disc for a steering brake on each wheel flange, and replace each wheel with a sprocket. I don't know that I would use the original band break at all. I've got a couple options how to run the input power, either a CV, or centrifugal clutch.

I know the Wheel Horse transmission can take the horsepower, but I don't know how well it'll work as a skid steer, using steering brakes.

I saw where a gentleman made a six-by-six wheel horse, but I wasn't able to figure out which transmission he used, or whether he modified the transmission itself internally.

The end-use for this vehicle is low speed, light-duty, yard stuff, like towing a trailer of lawn clippings, or hauling tools around.

I am hoping the experience people on this forum would know if this would work.

stevasaurus

I think it will work.  If you hold one wheel, the other one turns...you may not want to use a 10 pinion limited slip for this though.  If your transmission has 1" axles, then it is a 4 pinion differential and should be fine.  If you have 1 1/8" axles you can have either 8 of 10 pinion differentials.  I would think you want the 8 pinion.  One sure way to find out, the 2 bolt holes on top of the transmission for the fenders...shine a light down one and see if you can see the differential in the other.  The 8 pinion has 4 bolts holding the differential together, the 10 pinion has 5 bolts.  :occasion-xmas:

wallfish

:WRS:

Sounds like a cool project. How about some pictures of the 6x6 so we have an idea what you're working with.

I don't see why a manual WH tranny wouldn't work, it should.

The 6x6 Ian did was run by 2 hydraulic trans I think.

ebinmaine

Agreed. I believe it would be perfectly fine. 

If in fact you do have a 10 pinion transmission you could either swap transmissions with a member here or remove the spring that makes it limited slip. 

Sounds like a great project. 

Love to see pics or better yet start a build thread. 

stevasaurus

Eric, I'm not sure you should take out that spring.  It helps keep those pinions in place.  :eusa-think:

• Like 2

4wheelsis2toofew

I don't think I have a limited slip.

When I turn one wheel, the other one turns the opposite direction.

I haven't figured out how many pinions yet.

I guess I'll start a build thread.

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

Eric, I'm not sure you should take out that spring.  It helps keep those pinions in place.  :eusa-think:

Ah. Ok. 

Wasn't aware of that.