Cessna

I need help

Cessna

I uncovered my old 312-8 with a Kohler Magnum 12 has a few problem. Mostly I needed my other tractor to move the machine. In neutral it is very difficult to push. Any ideas what to look for.

• Excellent 1

Maxwell-8

First up, Wheel Horses are heavy machines, and so always hard to push. Maybe the tranny fluid is so nasty the bearings let go (which is fixable) but that's a hard guess off just some writing words.

gwest_ca

See if you can get the high/low shifter moved half way between gears. There is not really a genuine neutral there but it may help.

Garry

oliver2-44

After sittin in one place for a long time these tires can develop flat spots, especially if let get partially flat..  They will re-round with use.

kpinnc

Check the brake band for heavy rust too. 

• Excellent 1

The Tuul Crib

Has any water gotten into the trans?

How is the shifter boot?

:text-welcomeconfetti:T😎:rs:

:happy-jumpeveryone::happy-jumpeveryone::wwp:

• Like 1

Tuneup

Ditto on poorly inflated tires. If you just plan to move it, over fill them and it will be a breeze to move. I have old motorcycles (70s) that are the same. Lower the pressure when done. A Honda CB or Kawi KZ are really twitchy with 45 lbs in the tires... :-)

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Your tractor is probably just fine.  When you push a tractor while in neutral, you still end up turning some gears...ie...your differential carriage, the large mushroom gear and the cluster gear shaft and some of the spline shaft.  If the temperature was near freezing, the oil would be thick, if any water, you could have some ice, etc.  Along with what was said about the tires, the horse is going to be hard to push.  You don't want to force anything, but you should be OK if it was in the fall.  :occasion-xmas: