ohiofarmer

cannot check transmission fluid on commando 800

ohiofarmer

I have a raider 10 with the flip seat and also a commando 800 with the same setup.  The raider 10 has the square drive threaded short stick to check the oil and the 800 does not. If one is there, it is under the tin tool box mount.  If i am missing anything, like a fill port o the side of the transmission, please advise. otherwise, I will have to seperate the tractor and look things over.....

On edit:: I figured out that making a story stick from the raider 10 would determine if the drain plug was indeed also the fullness indicator and it was. Al one has to do is figure how high above the transmission that the top of the dipstick lives and then measure the drop to the top of the transmission then from there to the full line full line. So mine sits about three inches proud of the case, and the drop to the full mark is identical to where it flows out the bottom plug. Thanks for your help

Edited by ohiofarmer

squonk

Standing at the rear, there is no plug on the left lower corner ?  

stevasaurus

You may not have a dip stick, but you do have a fill plug on the left side of your transmission.  Take out that plug...if oil runs out, put the plug back in and you are good to go.  If no oil runs out, you may have to remove the seat to get at the 2 bolts at the top of the transmission.  Add oil through one of those holes until you see oil coming out that fill plug.  Replace fill plug and you are good to go.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ohiofarmer

there is a drain plug at the lower left. So i guess you are saying that 1.. If oil comes out there, then that is the correct level. . 2. That the two bolts holding the tool box area tunnel to the transmission top are bored clear through the transmission case and that is a good place to add oil.

The Raider 10 has the oil check stick and this tractor actually has the hole in the tunnel bottom sheet metal, but just not drilled and tapped for a check stick.

I have a buyer for the 800 as I just bought it for parts.for stuff like the mule drive and engine. I found my engine right after purchase, so did not want to molest this tractor. The buyer only wants a decent machine to pull a self contained finish mower and i want to give him good info on maintenance as well as check it out for water in the tran case

• Excellent 1

oliver2-44
2 hours ago, ohiofarmer said:

as well as check it out for water in the tran case

Pulling the plug on the side of the transmission will not tell you if you have water unless its full of water.  Oil floats on the water or gets mixed

I'm not the most familiar with a Commando 800, but check if there is an allen plug in the bottom  of the transmission. To check for water you need to quickly pull the plug catch a little bottom fluid and reinstall it quickly, or if water comes out let it drain.  

• Like 1

stevasaurus

All of the Wheel Horse transmissions have a drain plug on the bottom and a fill (check) plug on the side.  Jim is correct about water.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

ohiofarmer

Well, this one is a peach. I got the side and bottom plug removed and there was quite a bit of clear water completely separated from the oil. great goobly gobs of tan gear oil intermixed. i put some solvent mixed with 20 weight oil I had lying around and pushed the machine by hand to make the gears move the mess around. Then I used a vacuum cleaner and sucked it clean into a one gallon gas jug with tubing hit it with more solvent, but to get it all, I need to stand that little horsey on its tail.. takin pictures of the process with the camera that works on this website. Post them later.

• Thanks 1