atbinkowski

Rims for C175

atbinkowski

Hey all. I'm looking at possibly buying new rims for my tractor. Here is my issue. I have 23x10.50-12 rims/tires on my C175 right now. I want to use it to mow my yard with, however I've already ruined one deck because the tires on the deck run against the rear tires, especially while turning. Now I just had the thought of turning the rear tires around based on other threads I've read. If that doesn't work, will rims from a Sears Suburban tractor fit? I most concerned about getting the bolt pattern right. Also, could I put 22x7.50-12 rims/tires on from a 314? Could I just buy 23x9.50-12 tires and put them on my current rims?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Tony

Lee1977

I'm sure you can't turn the Wheel Horse wheels around. I don't think The Sears wheels will work either. Don't know if 23 x 950 x 12 will work. might need 23 x 850 x12.

atbinkowski

Yeah, I figured that out when I went out to check. The original size for the tractor is 23x9.50-12. So I'm looking for those now.

Skwerl58

I have some older (1989) Sears wheels and tires on the rear of my 1987 414-8. they are 12X10.50X12. They fit fine and I like the look of them.

IMG_20180823_171300359.jpg

Jeff-C175
5 hours ago, atbinkowski said:

original size for the tractor is 23x9.50-12

Did they change sizes over the years?  My 1980 originally came with 8.50 and I just put new ones on.

What year is your machine?

Edited by Jeff-C175

atbinkowski

I did find out they my trailer tires fit on it. Going to try them out 

Thor27

Is this a 42" deck?

atbinkowski

Yes 

Jeff-C175
45 minutes ago, atbinkowski said:

Information from here:

May not be correct...  here's a shot of the original parts manual that I have for mine.

image.png.e3d21d844cc3f2b16f7355c909173603.png

And the 8.50 are plenty big enough for mowing a lawn if that's your use for the machine.

I don't understand why the tires would be hitting the deck and how it could ruin the deck.  Even if I put 10.50 on mine they would definitely not hit the deck.

10.50 is the WIDTH, the height is 23.

Your original wheels should be a 7" width.

Are you sure you had the deck mounted correctly?

Edited by Jeff-C175

Tuneup

I'd love a 10.5 rim on my C125 as they didn't come stock with them. I can use the added traction of a wide tire. That said, sounds like those rims are not stock and their offset is not as 'Wheel Horse' as it can be. Is it possible to slide the hubs closer to the center with the tires attached without interference? Just wondering. Would like a rear pic to see the gap.

atbinkowski

Jeff - that's the first time I've seen that size listed, so that good to know. All information on the web (and this forum that I've found) lists the size I mention.

Tuneup- I've attached a picture of the wheel on my C175. With the deck up there isn't much of an issue. With it down, and set to the cut height I want, the deck wheels will rub against the rear tires for certain, and will rub at times just going straight. They are excellent for plowing though.

The deck is raised in the picture.

PXL_20210418_135549032.jpg

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, atbinkowski said:

attached a picture

If those are 10.50 then it's a good bet that the wheels are not stock either.  The sidewalls would have more angle to them on a stock 7" wheel.  Also, the valve stems on the outside is another 'tell'.  The stock wheels had the valve stem on the inside.  Those may be 9" wide rims from ? somewhere else.

Even though the WIDTH of the tire is listed as 10.50, it has been demonstrated time and again that the HEIGHT is not set in stone.  The same size tire from different manufacturers can vary in height quite a lot.

I believe what I might do in your situation is to find a set of stock rims and fit either 8.50 or at most 9.50 on them and install turf tires for mowing.  Check with Lincoln at AZ TRACTORS for the wheels.  I just bought a pair in VERY good condition for a very reasonable price.

Use the AGS in the winter for plowing and the turfs in the summer for mowing.

Edited by Jeff-C175

atbinkowski

The width of the tires is 10.5", the height is 23". I know they aren't the stock tires and rims, which is why I'm looking for a set of 8.50-9.50 rims, hence my original post.

I'll take a look at the company you suggested. Thank you.

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
1 minute ago, atbinkowski said:

set of 8.50-9.50 rims

Keep in mind that the rim is smaller than the tire width.  The stock rim width is 7" and this works well with the 8.50.  Should also be fine with the 9.50 and the bead would be easier to seat and air up.  I had a bit of a struggle getting the 4 ply Carlisle Turf Master to seat the bead.  Finally got them seated using three cinch straps around the tires.

Jeff-C175
10 minutes ago, atbinkowski said:

width of the tires is 10.5", the height is 23".

Corrected my post.  Brain not connected to fingers!

oliver2-44

If your rims are 7" wide, an 8.5 to 9.5 tire will work fine on them. The 9.5 will be slightly rounded.  If you put a 10.5 tire on a 7" wide rim it will bulge out rounded.  It's possible the reason your 10.50 wide tires are hitting the deck is due to them bulging out if there mounted on the narrower 7" rims.  I believe a 10.50 wide tire would normally be mounted on a 8.5" wide rim. 

• Like 1

atbinkowski

The rims are 9.50 bought a pair 22x9.50-12 turf tires and put them on today (only took one pry bar to the face, but I still won the battle). They should work. Still the possibility of a very very slight rub. I might see about moving the attach-o-matic mount forward one hole, but then the front tires might hit it. We'll see what happens next time I mow...of course in Ohio, we're expecting snow this week...smh...

Jeff-C175
6 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

It's possible the reason your 10.50 wide tires are hitting the deck is due to them bulging out if there mounted on the narrower 7" rims.

Doesn't appear so looking at the pics.

34 minutes ago, atbinkowski said:

The rims are 9.50

OK, true, they aren't 7"

6 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

a 10.50 wide tire would normally be mounted on a 8.5" wide rim

Could be, or a 9" might be a tad better.

35 minutes ago, atbinkowski said:

rims are 9.50 bought a pair 22 x9.50-12 turf tires

Those rims are kinda wide for a 9.50 tire!  How much fun did you have seating the bead?  You meant 23 x 9.50, yes?  typo?

37 minutes ago, atbinkowski said:

only took one pry bar to the face

OUCH! :orcs-censored: