Cape Codder

Replace Tires or Tube on my 310-8

Cape Codder

Over the past year the rear tires (23x8.50-12) have been loosing air. I've been told the options are resetting the bead or putting tubes in. The tread is good on the tires but there is some dry rot. Any suggestions ?

OutdoorEnvy

I would go with a tube.  It'll be the most complete fix and give you the least hassle once done.   

• Like 1

ebinmaine

If your tires are dry rotted then the lifespan could be limited. I don't generally run anything on dry rotted tires even if it's yard equipment.

Get two new tires AND tubes.

I do my own installations with a manual tire changer here. Using tubes makes the install quite a bit easier.

• Like 1

Lee1977

You know what you can afford, the tube will be around $25 plus the cost to put it in, unless you do it yourself..  If you depend on the tractor regularly I would go with new 4 ply tires.

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 2

Cape Codder

Any way of knowing if the tires have tubes in them. Did the originals have tubes ? Thanks

Lee1977
1 minute ago, Cape Codder said:

Any way of knowing if the tires have tubes in them. Did the originals have tubes ? Thanks

No they came tubeless.

ri702bill

Welcome to the Forum!

The common consensus is to go with tubes, and there is an added advantage that Eric left out in his reply - you need tubes to protect the steel rims so you can use RV Antifreeze or the -20 degree windshield washer fluid IF you want to add about 30 or so pounds per wheel for winter use - plowing or snow blower. You are about 30 miles from me  - I do not know of anyone selling the better choice of Rimguard (aka "beet juice") around the local area that you can have added with no tube needed......

Bill

Edited by ri702bill

ebinmaine
13 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

- I do not know of anyone selling the better choice of Rimguard (aka "beet juice") around the local area that you can have added with no tube needed......

Bill

You could run up to Sanford Maine and get that stuff at a great price and great service but it might be a tad bit of a drive. 

:lol:

haydendavid380

If I'm going to the struggle of taking a tire off a wheel, a new tire is going back on.

23x8.5 turf tires are cheap.

• Excellent 1

pfrederi

When you have 20 Wheel Horses you don't run out and buy new tires just because they have some dry cracks. I just tube them.  Only have had one failure.  That was an ancient 7.00-12 snow tread tire.

2 tubes for $25 beat 50+ dollar each tires...in my book.

How to tell what you have,  If the valve stem has a bulge just as it goes into the wheel tubeless  Straight side into the rim..Tube...

• Like 5

Jeff-C175
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Using tubes makes the install quite a bit easier.

You ain't lyin' brutha!  Getting the beads to seat on new tires can be a real challenge!  It took three cinch straps and considerable finagling to get them seated.  The 'air cannon' didn't even work.  I shy away from explosives.

2 hours ago, haydendavid380 said:

struggle of taking a tire off a wheel

Not much of a struggle with a good set of irons and clamping the wheel to the bench.  As above, the real struggle comes when trying to air up the brand new tubeless!

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Not much of a struggle with a good set of irons and clamping the wheel to the.....

@haydendavid380

A few years back now Trina picked up one of those Harbor Freight manual tire changers.

That is not just a tire changer. It is a Life changer. A game changer.

Best piece of advice I can give with one of those is to make sure that it is MOUNTED SECURELY TO A FLOOR. Not a pallet like some of the sillies online. 

She paid about $40 or so for it and it paid for itself, three times over, on the very first day.

haydendavid380
23 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

@haydendavid380

A few years back now Trina picked up one of those Harbor Freight manual tire changers.

That is not just a tire changer. It is a Life changer. A game changer.

Best piece of advice I can give with one of those is to make sure that it is MOUNTED SECURELY TO A FLOOR. Not a pallet like some of the sillies online. 

She paid about $40 or so for it and it paid for itself, three times over, on the very first day.

I have one mounted to 2" square tube I throw in my trucks hitch. 

I still don't like monkeying with them.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, haydendavid380 said:

I have one mounted to 2" square tube I throw in my trucks hitch. 

I still don't like monkeying with them.

I have a solution for that as well. 

You can almost always find somebody in your local neighborhood that deserves to change a tire.

You can call it:

Resistance training. 

Punishment. 

Life skills education day. 

Hey try to get this tire off the wheel while I video it. 

You wanted me to buy you a gym membership so come on over here. 

• Haha 2

Jeff-C175
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Yer a regular "Tom Sawyer" ain't ya!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

haydendavid380
On 4/16/2021 at 2:36 PM, ebinmaine said:

I have a solution for that as well. 

You can almost always find somebody in your local neighborhood that deserves to change a tire.

You can call it:

Resistance training. 

Punishment. 

Life skills education day. 

You wanted me to buy you a gym membership so come on over here. 

...well, here I am again 

No neighbor kids to be found and my wife didn't fall for me showing her how to be a strong independent woman.

20210417_153419.jpg.2ace703d413d3ed3841cb4a2eb5d7246.jpg

• Haha 2

Rob R

Tube it forget it.....................   just saying 

Porkskin

Hello all! Hey, I've got one of the two fronts size 15x6.00-6 older but with decent tread but leaking. I'm on a budget right now and getting ready to pull trigger on a pair. However I wonder about the position and type of the valve stem in relation to fitting it to the hole in the wheel. Any experience with this?

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, Porkskin said:

Hello all! Hey, I've got one of the two fronts size 15x6.00-6 older but with decent tread but leaking. I'm on a budget right now and getting ready to pull trigger on a pair. However I wonder about the position and type of the valve stem in relation to fitting it to the hole in the wheel. Any experience with this?

:text-welcomeconfetti:

When you inflate a tube just enough to make it take shape you'll likely find that the valve stem is offset to one side. 

That'll tell/show you how the tube goes in the tire. 

Jeff-C175
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

you'll likely find that the valve stem is offset to one side.

And I believe there is often a colored stripe printed on the tube to tell you "this side toward valve hole".  

I haven't installed a tube in a long time myself... but as I recall there are some that have more or less offset.  Maybe someone that uses tubes regularly can comment on thiat.

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 1

Cape Codder

Any advice on getting the lugs off ? Do I need a impact wrench or just a ratchet with an extension.

Jeff-C175
45 minutes ago, Cape Codder said:

Any advice on getting the lugs off ? Do I need a impact wrench or just a ratchet with an extension.

If you need an impact wrench someone installed them WAY WAY too tight!

They should come off easily enough with a 1/2" drive ratchet and extension.

• Like 2