The Tuul Crib

Questions about rebuilding a Kohler K series starter

The Tuul Crib

I'm going through my starter motors I have in the shed to rebuild a decent one. I come across one that is backwards from the normal K series starters. The one that is backwards looks to be almost a brand new set of magnets in it. Is there a way to remove these safely and put them in the correct housing to make it work? The first picture is the correct housing and the second picture is the one that is backwards.Is there anyway to remove the magnets and reposition them correctly?

65B1D757-D8B0-4559-BF13-57FFA9FA113D.jpeg

606F9795-A305-4130-A1E9-30FE1A678987.jpeg

Edited by The Tuul Crib

Howie

I would say it would be very difficult to remove the magnets without breaking them.

Tractorhead

I would try by heat it up gently from outside with a torch, maybe also a Heatgun on high power will work.

It shall be just very hot above 600*C to break the cement glue or whatever there is used to stick in,

but it shall become not to glow outside the metal because Magnets also don‘t like to much heat.

It is a Small border to not damage the Magnets, but if they have to go away, it‘s allways worth a try.

To get the Magnets out i would try drillpress with 2 woodblocks to have better control of the force and no hard contact to the magnets.

one flat wood below and one post in inner diameter to touch the magnets. both shall be hard wood.

If no drillpress is available, use a vice as press.

And press them out gently with not too much Force don‘t use any hammerhits, magnets are quick destroyed on impact force.

953 nut

I'm not sure what type of adhesive was used to mount the magnets, perhaps soaking in some acetone would break the bond. Heat would be a bit sketchy because too much could  kill the magnets. If there is a space between the magnet and frame you may be able to use some fine diamond cutting wire on a scroll saw. https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Pcs-13CM-Scroll-Saw-Blades-Coping-Metal-Woodworking-Tool-DIY-Size-Choice/112737088026?_trkparms=aid%3D1110002%26algo%3DSPLICE.SOI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20201210111451%26meid%3Da5533696b0434f69b69488e5aeae32b7%26pid%3D101196%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dpf%26sd%3D113902750118%26itm%3D112737088026%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DPromotedSellersOtherItemsV2WithMLRv3%26brand%3DUnbranded&_trksid=p2047675.c101196.m2219

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

It's a shame to have to waste these magnets because they still have the numbers printed on them. And the casing has the mount bracket mounted on the wrong side. Possibly off of a Gravley perhaps. I do have one OK starter carcass if you will that is in OK shape. All the others I have the magnets are all broke up. Any ideas what causes this?

gwest_ca

Tapping the the starter housing with an object as is common on older automotive starters to try and get them to turn is what breaks the magnets. The magnets are as brittle as weak glass.

Garry

pacer
40 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

magnets are as brittle as weak glass.

Dont have much/anything? to lose by trying, but ........ I'd be surprised if you can do it. they DO seem fragile!