pfrederi

Dodged a bullet on a K-301

pfrederi

actually dodged flying flywheel pieces.

Picked up an Electro a couple years ago.  I pulled the head when I got it to decarbon and saw it was .030 over.  OK no problem she ran well no smoke.  Loaned her to  neighbor who used her 48" deck to mow a couple acres for 2 years.  Ran fine but leaked like a sieve.  he bought fancy new Kubota 2601 and returned the horse .  i used her last winter for limited snowplow duty.  Got tired of the leaks and tore her down.  Cause of eh leaks was pretty obvious, who ever did the overhaul didn't want to spring for a gasket set.  Some were obviously reused and in poor shape some no gaskets at all just some RTV especial the oil and fuel pump. Also noted the flywheel didn't have a normal bolt holding it on. Started to reassemble and when I cleaned up the flywheel to put it back on saw this.....

IMG_0145.JPG

IMG_0146.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

WHX??

Yep been there Paul.. twice in fact on a K161 that I got from Kev and the flywheel on the original motor. We all guessed it was from improper key installation or using an impact on the nut or both. Lucked out and found one reasonably priced on fleabay. 

20210224_165125.jpg

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 3

pfrederi

I agree on the impact wrench...Had a real struggle getting the flywheel off, obviously over tightened...

• Like 2

Kenneth R Cluley

That's not just a bullet, more like a hand grenade! People don't realize the damage they can cause with impact. Torque specs are there for a reason. Lucky catch.

• Like 6

953 nut

Probably caused by some shade-tree mechanic using a BFH tool rather than a puller to remove the flywheel.

• Like 1

JoeM

I figure your spot on with the impact.

I have seen people put grease on that fit hoping it will come off easy but allows over tightening. I clean up with a scuff pad and put it together. 

953 nut
5 minutes ago, JoeM said:

I have seen people put grease on that fit hoping it will come off easy but allows over tightening. I clean up with a scuff pad and put it together.

If people were to read the Kohler manual they would know that is a no-no.    Real Men Don T Read Instructions Magnets - CafePress

• Like 1