Pollack Pete

Yesterday's Haul

Pullstart

Cool!  Random question.  I see truck tires up front.   Are 4wd tractors geared perfect to their spec’d tires to run same ground speed, or over driven front or rear for any reason, etc?

Tractorhead

Great save !

cool machine congrats, have a lot of Fun.

Handy Don
11 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Cool!  Random question.  I see truck tires up front.   Are 4wd tractors geared perfect to their spec’d tires to run same ground speed, or over driven front or rear for any reason, etc?

Very good question. Isn't this why there is usually a differential between front and rear (as well as on each axle)?

Pullstart
24 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Very good question. Isn't this why there is usually a differential between front and rear (as well as on each axle)?

I don’t think all 4x4 transfer cases have a diff, just AWD possibly.  

• Like 2

8ntruck
23 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Full time fwd systems normally have some sort of differential between the front and rear axles to account for the differing travel distance between the front and rear when turning.  The Jeep CJ's I've owned did not have a differential, instead, they relied on the tires slipping, figuring the vehicle would have limited traction when fwd was used.  I imagine a tractor would make that same assumption.

• Like 3

Tractorhead

The (also my) Iseki do not have any diff between front and rear.

They be normal just Rear wheel drives and misused the Mid PTO for the 4WD later on.

The instruction manual tells it shall be just engaged on loosen grounds,

it is definitely suggested never use it onroad but the Tyrecombination is calculated to run in nearly same wheelspin. 

Same on most older older and maybe on newer Kubotas, Mitsubishis and Bolens i know with switching 4WD.

I believe it is also the same on the Ford, if it is a switching 4WD Drive.

The Tyresize is given at the Manufacturer to be sure they have nearly the same Wheelspin between front and rear.

Edit:

They be typically 12“ in front and 16“ on Rearaxle

Edited by Tractorhead

Pollack Pete

The front tires on it now are some 12 in turf tires.The front tires and wheels that are supposed to be on it were included in the sale.4.00 x 12 ag tires.Both real good tread.Both flat.Haven't checked them out yet.

• Like 3

squonk

Some 4WD's have viscous couplings instead of a differential. Used in The Jeeps that you bought for your wife so she could get out the driveway and get to K-mart in the winter. I think some of the grey market tractors had them too.

gt14rider

Nice haul, enjoy your new toy:greetings-clappingyellow: