Sign in to follow this  
jimt1971

Broken Shifter

jimt1971

Hello all,

I have a broken shifter in one of my tractors. It is the shifter shaft not the ball at the bottom. Has anyone used PC-7 or simular to fix a shifter? And no I can't get it welded but will try it I need to.

Thanks,

Jim

Docwheelhorse

PC7 is great stuff but won't hold in this situation---then the chunk of epoxy will fall down into the trani and cause more problems. Why can't you get it welded----there has to be somebody with a welder around you. Or.... mail the shifter to somebody on the forum that has a welder and let them tack it and send it back.... :omg:

Tony

Kelly

Or what tractor do you need a shifter for??? many of us have parts.

Raider12

Im thinking that welding this "ball" back on may not be a good idea. I stand to be corrected on this (please chime in if I am) but this ball on the bottom of the shift is hardend. Welding it back would ruin the temp on this. But Im just thinking this could be a short lived repair. I would search for a replacement first and weld as a last resort.

My 2 cents

Denver

jimt1971

Kelly,

The shifter is for a 1054a. It broke just about an 1 inch outside the trans. I pulled the trans and put a different shifter in just to check everything out. It shifts fine I just need to replace the original shifter.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim_M

If you want to mail it to Indiana I would be glad to weld it for you.

sorekiwi

I've got a tractor here that has had the ball welded on (I didnt do it, it was done many years ago) and there dont seem to be any ill effects from it.

And this is the ball itself. Yours is broken an inch or so above the ball, right? I doubt any (electric) welding an inch away would affect the temper of the ball (if in fact the ball is hardened - I wouldnt be surprised if it wasnt).

jimt1971

So do you all think it could be mig welded back together?

Thanks,

Jim

sorekiwi

So do you all think it could be mig welded back together?

Thanks,

Jim

Yup!

Kelly

I have a shifter out of a 953 should be the same, send me a PM if you want it, it will be cheap.