Toolmanbill

1994 314-8

Toolmanbill

Another spring is upon us.started looking at replacement for my 1994 314-8 which I bought new and has been garage kept its whole life.this machine seems almost indestructible but continues to have small things going wrong.(wire harness issues and carb and fuel troubles).this has almost 1000 hours on it.how long do these motors typically last?am I worrying needlessly?what is the main issues I will have going forward?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

CCW

My 87 312-8 came to me from my father after he passed 12 years ago.  It was always garaged, but he was not a great one for maintenance.  I had the carburetor replaced and put new rear tires on it. This spring I will replace the rear axle seals and brake lining.  Since I took possession of it in 2017 I have replace the engine oil and transmission fluid each year.  All this has cost me about $400.  Going forward I expect fewer cost as I have brought it back to good working order.  It has about 1300 hours on it and is strong machine having used it help pull stumps, fell a couple of trees and general yard work.  I do not anticipate ever replacing it even though it is 34 years old and I am 67.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

peter lena

TOOLMANBILL, the areas that you refer problems to are relatively easy to replace , improve . carb and wiring issues , can be bought or rebuilt yourself. that engine can easily last longer with regular maintenance, add some rislone   engine cleaner to your oil changes to remove engine varnish and debris. do you have access to any help on this close by ? nothing that is made today ,will even come close to the life of a w/h , hopefully someone on this site will reach out to you  on the help issue, pete

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

953 nut
1 hour ago, Toolmanbill said:

am I worrying needlessly?

image.png.70600bec6ec07e5c60f6ce2f18f30700.png

1 hour ago, Toolmanbill said:

continues to have small things going wrong.(wire harness issues and carb and fuel troubles).

If you take a few hours to clean and tighten ALL electrical connections including grounds these problems will be a thing of the past.

Replace the fuel hose, add a fuel filter, only use ethanol-free gas https://www.pure-gas.org/. Add some seafoam fuel treatment at a rate of four ounces per gallon for the first tankful in the spring and then use one ounce per gallon as a regular routine to keep the fuel system clean.

• Like 7
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

Typically these engines die because of lack of general maintenance.  If the air filter and oil are kept clean/fresh, it’s hard to kill ‘em!  Proper lubrication means running at least 1/2 throttle during all operation, unless you’re cooling down to shut it off.

• Like 5

oldlineman

:text-yeahthat:X 100

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Toolmanbill

Thanks a lot guys.always love the responses I get to my questions. you give great aspirations.

• Like 1

WHX??
7 hours ago, pullstart said:

Typically these engines die because of lack of general maintenance.  If the air filter and oil are kept clean/fresh, it’s hard to kill ‘em!  Proper lubrication means running at least 1/2 throttle during all operation, unless you’re cooling down to shut it off.

:text-yeahthat: X 200.  The thing of it is here Bill is even if you do have to stick some money into it it's most likely going to less than the cost of a big box POS to replace it that is disposable. ..just sayin... and my :twocents-02cents:

Did I mention my sixties herd can :chores-mowlawn:with the best of them? Maybe not as fast but that goes towards seat time! :lol: