rustyedge1

Briggs & Stratton 130202 flywheel magnet question ?

rustyedge1

I couldn't figure out where else to pose this question, so...

The magnet has lost it's magnetism on flywheel and I was wondering if a crossover is possible ?

I have found several flywheels for the 5hp Briggs model 130202 but the type on mine is 0200-03 which I cant find exact.

Guess my question is will another 5hp 130202 with different type number will work on my old Briggs engine ?

Any help appreciated.

IMG_9237.jpeg

Edited by rustyedge1

Achto
31 minutes ago, rustyedge1 said:

The magnet has lost it's magnetism

Just wanting to follow along as I have never heard of this issue.:confusion-confused:

• Like 2

squonk

:text-yeahthat:

WHX??
48 minutes ago, Achto said:

never heard of this issue

:popcorn:Neither have I, replacement flywheel should be easy to find tho as many as those motors were made. would be a good candidate to  convert to solid state ignition. 

• Like 1

squonk

I guess it's possible! :techie-reference:

1) Via heat: ferromagnet materials will lose their magnetism if heated above a point known as the Curie temperature. ... Interestingly, an opposing magnetic field is sometimes applied to a magnet in order to 'knock it down', or to lower its overall magnetic output, so that it can be used appropriately in an application.

No "permanent magnet" is completely permanent. Heat, sharp impacts, stray magnetic fields, and age all conspire to rob a magnet of its field.

Bar magnets for science class have their north and south poles clearly marked. If you store or stack them with the north poles together, this causes them to lose their magnetism faster than normal.

When you look at a magnet on a table, it appears perfectly still, but in reality its atoms vibrate in random directions. The energy from normal temperatures creates these vibrations.

Over several years, the vibrations from changes in temperature eventually randomize the magnetic orientations of its domains. Some magnetic materials retain magnetism longer than others.

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

rustyedge1
1 hour ago, Achto said:

Just wanting to follow along as I have never heard of this issue.:confusion-confused:

I hadn't either. Has no magnetic power left at all. 

Achto
2 hours ago, rustyedge1 said:

Quess my question is will another 5hp 130202 with different type number will work on my old Briggs engine ?

The model number on a Briggs is usually good for major parts being the same. The type number usually leans more toward defining accessories ( carb, air cleaner, location of everything, etc) 

If there is a casting number on your flywheel, look for one with the same number on it.

One other thing that I just thought of, Briggs will reverse the magnetic polarity on the flywheel for their old cast iron block models so that you can use a modern solid state coil on them. AND they would offer this service for free.

I wonder if your magnet could be recharged?

Edited by Achto
  • Like 1

Achto
1 hour ago, rustyedge1 said:

Has no magnetic power left at all. 

Ok,:confusion-confused: so apparently this can be an issue. Here is the DIY "Redneck version" video that I found for re-magnetizing a flywheel.

Edited by Achto

Achto

Back ground noise on this video is terrible but there is also a machine for magnetizing your flywheel. Here is probably the correct method. Maybe an electric motor shop might have a tool for this method??

Edited by Achto
  • Like 1

Stepney

I've recharged a whole lot of magnetos before. There's a way to do it, but something that small would requite some well made soft iron piles.. and a charger small enough to handle it. The one I use is about a foot long and meant for our old fashioned hit and miss engines. 

B&S as said will/would recharge a flywheel or repolarize it free of charge, but being they went under AFAIK, that would prove rather difficult. 

A 4-5hp generator, tiller, blower, or any other B&S not off a push mower should have the same flywheel. I probably have a few in the pile out back. Anything besides a push mower. Push mower wheels are lighter in general. Using the blade as a flywheel.
Id bet you could find a broke down unit pretty easy and swap your wheel. 

Are you still running points or are you SSI now?
The newer coils are very forgiving. I have some real weak 40s era flywheels working just fine with newer solid state Magnetron coils. 

• Like 2

rustyedge1

Engine had no fire when tried to start a few weeks ago so I bought a new ignition coil ( photo'd ) and was going to replace the old system when I found the magnet had no power in the flywheel so I haven't gone any further just yet.

May be time for a different tiller.

42CCE9B7-B0CC-41AB-B32A-448FF1C1E12D_1_201_a.jpeg

9D7479D9-AB50-4D64-8F0E-A5B8CB108919_1_201_a.jpeg

• Like 1

WHX??
3 hours ago, Achto said:

The model number on a Briggs is usually good for major parts being the same. The type number usually leans more toward defining accessories ( carb, air cleaner, location of everything, etc) 

If there is a casting number on your flywheel, look for one with the same number on it.

One other thing that I just thought of, Briggs will reverse the magnetic polarity on the flywheel for their old cast iron block models so that you can use a modern solid state coil on them. AND they would offer this service for free.

Didn't  you tell me if they find a fault in the wheel you won't get it back Dan? 

Getting the SS ignition and doing away with the points was the best thing I did for the same motor on my driveway blower. Got real tired of having to pull everything just to dollar bill the points. 

17 minutes ago, rustyedge1 said:

May be time for a different tiller

Ney Ney Jose ..them don't make them like that anymore! 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Achto
10 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Didn't  you tell me if they find a fault in the wheel you won't get it back Dan?

This is true. If they find any flaw in your flywheel, like a minor crack or a chip in a fin for instance it will go in the scrap metal pile.

• Like 2

seuadr
On 3/15/2021 at 8:01 PM, Achto said:

This is true. If they find any flaw in your flywheel, like a minor crack or a chip in a fin for instance it will go in the scrap metal pile.

so i shouldn't bother to ship this one?
image.png.1dc73beff6cd85d33000eefda0cf5c98.png
:D

(not mine, just a pic i came across once)

• Haha 1

Achto

Signs say NO.:lol:

rustyedge1

Think i'll post in the Wanted classifieds to see if anyone has the same model 

Thanks all