Sign in to follow this  
formariz

Raised panel by hand not having a special plane

formariz

Some of you are interested in doing a raised panel by hand but do not have a special plane for it @CCW. Not a problem . It can be done with a smooth plane and a rabbet plane. A little more work and a few more things to keep in mind but still easier and better than using a table saw or a router. It is simple, quiet and most importantly, safe with predictable results, something that cannot ever be assumed with any power tool. Most if not all are able to accomplish the task with a couple of inexpensive tools that to many seems not possible. With a little practice it can be done much quicker and better than with any power tool unless of course one is doing a few dozen of them. Even with such a quantity it is a very satisfying and rewarding way of doing it.

Edited by formariz
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

8ntruck

Nice demonstration.

That was a nice piece of straight grained stock.  When you flipped it end for end to cut the long sides, the plane cut the same.

I also noted that I would need a rabbit plane with blade skewed the opposite way.  I'm left handed, so I run a plane left to right.  The skew on your right handed rabbit plane would tend to pull the plane off of the edge of the edge of the raised section of the panel.

Guess I've got to ask - do left handed rabbit planes exist?

formariz
11 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

Nice demonstration.

That was a nice piece of straight grained stock.  When you flipped it end for end to cut the long sides, the plane cut the same.

I also noted that I would need a rabbit plane with blade skewed the opposite way.  I'm left handed, so I run a plane left to right.  The skew on your right handed rabbit plane would tend to pull the plane off of the edge of the edge of the raised section of the panel.

Guess I've got to ask - do left handed rabbit planes exist?

Thank you. Piece did have straight grain. That particular plane has iron bedded at 52 degrees creating a more scraping cut. That would be  great asset in difficult grain or very hard woods. Planes bedded at high angles make a distinctive different sound as they cut.

Although rare there are panel raising planes that are in matched pairs( right and left).  Rabbet planes were not commercially made that way. I have in the past made some that were left handed. 
You can just use a regular rabbet plane for that part. 

8ntruck

:text-yeahthat: Or do what I've always done - learn how to do it right handed.  I can do more tasks with my right hand than most right handed people can with their left hand.

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Like 1

Pullstart

I didn’t realize so many planes existed!  Cas, approximately how many planes do you have?  I know you make a lot of them, you have more wood working talent in your left pinky than my whole body!

The Tuul Crib

Nice job cas!! Enjoyed watching!

formariz
11 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

:text-yeahthat: Or do what I've always done - learn how to do it right handed.  I can do more tasks with my right hand than most right handed people can with their left hand.

That is many times what I need to do also if I find opposing grain. I use them left handed or use them in reverse pulling rather than pushing them.

3 hours ago, pullstart said:

I didn’t realize so many planes existed!  Cas, approximately how many planes do you have?  I know you make a lot of them, you have more wood working talent in your left pinky than my whole body!

There are literally thousands of planes with different functions. I don't know how many I have but they are in the hundreds (easier to hide from wife than tractors). Many are displayed inside house on the first floor. They are not allowed past the stairs lol. Any one can do this work. Its like any other skill. I was just lucky that in reality I was born into it and was always surrounded by people in the same situation so it was never just a job  but actually a way of life. Making planes has always been  perhaps my favorite activity in this craft and I wish I had more time to do it. I still have herein stock enough irons to make a couple of thousand more. Most of them extremely rare one over 100 years old. Some of my "stock" below.

2 hours ago, The Tuul Crib said:

Nice job cas!! Enjoyed watching!

Thank you I appreciate that coming from you. I always hope more get into this interest we have.

200D3F32-3E9C-4239-B7E6-FCCA797CB6A2.jpeg.8f9a3c031308b7beb5fef59311e6417a.jpeg

60E940D4-E2E8-4A15-95A5-1BCA212CF22D.jpeg.17e6ae5558708df36da97fbf19f8b2ea.jpeg

1EB300D7-ECE8-4B3F-A949-5677429AEB7D.jpeg.0ad651f433743f286c0fcc626ecea3c0.jpeg

1FA5FE04-81A7-4A50-BB0D-63BEAC7DA8B5.jpeg.daaa14d3d23c0b2b707c5c64dbf9c551.jpeg

Edited by formariz
  • Excellent 2