Yossarian

C-175

Yossarian

I'm going to look at C-175 in the morning. After looking at old threads and practicing my google-fu I have a couple of questions.  First and foremost, did they come with both series 1 and series 2 Kohler twins?  Almost all of what I need to mow is sloped and it looks like the series 1 is good engine for a flat yard.  Sloped not so much.  Also, if it is a series 1 does mowing across the slope vs. up and down make a difference?  I've looked up different ways to tell the two apart but any pointers are welcome.  Any other quirks to look for in the C-175?  Thanks

AMC RULES

IIRC, the engine serial #'s ending above 300 are the Series 2 models.

175's were offered with both engines, true. 

I mow steep, albeit short slopes with my Series 1, no problems. 

Owned my machine, over 5 years, oil in it is changed early, regularly, and always over filled slightly. 

You never move equipment safely across a slope. 

• Like 3

Pollack Pete

I wouldn't be afraid of the series 1.Like Craig said.Keep the oil slightly over filled.Change it regularly,.And never mow across a slope.I have two C-175's.One with a series 1.One with a series 2.Just my opinion,but they're both  a hell of a tractor.I've been mowing 5 or 6 acres here the last couple years with one.The area started out as over grown crap about 3 feet high.Went through it like nothing with a 42 inch side discharge deck. Buy it.Youll like it.

• Like 3

Jeff-C175

I hope I don't jinx it...  my 1980 Series 1 is still going strong. I've owned it about 30 years.  Previous owner beat the hell out of it. My property is flat except for one short culvert though.

I'm probably going to get beat up for this but I use Shell Rotella T1 straight 30 W DIESEL oil in it and all my machines.  Have been for about 20 years now.  No problems.  I believe that the T1 has more zinc in it than regular gas engine oils.  Zinc is a lubricant.

• Like 1

pfrederi

Spec number 24300 and up Series II

What is model number of the tractor?

• Like 1

Pollack Pete
2 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

I use Shell Rotella T1 straight 30 W DIESEL oil in it and all my machines.  Have been for about 20 years now.  No problems.  I believe that the T1 has more zinc in it than regular gas engine oils.  Zinc is a lubricant.

I use Rotella in most of my equipment,both gas and diesel.Have used it for years.Change it at regular intervals.So far,so good.I like the fact that Rotella is available in most auto parts stores.Even Wally World.

• Like 2

Jeff-C175
17 minutes ago, Pollack Pete said:

Rotella

Something that bears mentioning here in case someone gets in their mind to use in their car...  It is NOT a good idea to use an oil high in ZDDP (Zinc) or Zinc oil additives in any vehicle with a catalytic converter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yossarian

Thanks for the replies. So far the seller has had a change in schedule and I haven't been able to catch her. Someone else is supposed to look at it this weekend and may beat me to it. If someone else gets it I at least hope its someone from Red Square.  Too be clear my yard has a slope, but its not particularly steep for most of it and perfectly safe to mow either across or up and down.  It's just a very large yard and the slope, though slight, is constant.  

8ntruck
4 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

I hope I don't jinx it...  my 1980 Series 1 is still going strong. I've owned it about 30 years.  Previous owner beat the hell out of it. My property is flat except for one short culvert though.

I'm probably going to get beat up for this but I use Shell Rotella T1 straight 30 W DIESEL oil in it and all my machines.  Have been for about 20 years now.  No problems.  I believe that the T1 has more zinc in it than regular gas engine oils.  Zinc is a lubricant.

The zinc in Rotella is an additive that improves the extreme pressure performance of the oil.  Good for use in older equipment, even pre-cathalytic converter automobiles.  It is a good oil to use in our Kohlers with their flat tapped valve systems.

Current oils are designed for current engines that use different running clearances and roller tappets, and to maximize fuel mileage.  Zinc is also being removed from oil for pollution issues.

Charbs152

cant speak on the engines as my C-175 was swapped with a Briggs 18hp opposed twin.  Awesome machine though.

JohnD

I've had a Series I KT-17 on a C-175 and I'm happy with it.  The KT-17 service manual (tp_2043_a.pdf in the manuals section) claims the Series I is okay up to 30 degrees tilt in any direction.  There's another post on this site showing just how extreme 30 degrees really is (very difficult to walk without sliding).  The manual also shows you where to find the serial number for the motor. 

There are a few quirks about the oil and transmission markings on the engine and transmission dipsticks being wrong (reading too high), so that may be a reason people got into problems with these during angled operations.  The members on this site are a great resource for learning how to best maintain and operate your tractor.