Lcarter114

Adding a Safety switch

WVHillbilly520H
3 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

Love my WHs with factory "Motion Control"!  Haven't used the others since I got "Motion Control" so I'd consider it.  Sure is nice for mowing!

All hydros have some sort of factory "Motion Control" , most just happen to be hand operated... whether console or dash/column mounted :eusa-think:

9 hours ago, Lcarter114 said:

I am going to take off the plate and see if I can mount a switch at the indent.   

I have been keeping my eye out for a 520.  I  like my 417 but the hour meter shows 1400 hours.  I  bought it used a few years ago.  It runs good and has no real issues, but I would like to have a gear drive instead of a hydro.  I think it would be better when using the tiller.  

There where only 225 "factory" made 520-8 (and they have manual lift) all others are Hydro/hydraulic lift, one could take something like a 516 with the weaker Eaton 700 (or any other 16-20 hp hydro tractor) and merge it with a xxx-8 tractor with the 1 1/8" axles making it a manual version, but a 312-8 dedicated to the tiller will serve you just fine, I only had the one 520H for years so it was my 4 season all around machine then I bought a 315-8 and yes it did so much better with the tiller as it "resisted" being pushed by the tiller vs the hydro and had more than enough power to run it, and wasn't too bad to lift either. Hydro is the way better option with the snow blower never the wrong gear for that. Just something to ponder.

• Like 1

DennisThornton
6 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

All hydros have some sort of factory "Motion Control" , most just happen to be hand operated... whether console or dash/column mounted :eusa-think:

Oops!  Forgot the FOOT!  (Didn't mean most Wheel Horses had no motion control ...)  

"Foot Motion Control"

• Like 2

Lcarter114
1 hour ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

There where only 225 "factory" made 520-8 (and they have manual lift) all others are Hydro/hydraulic lift, one could take something like a 516 with the weaker Eaton 700 (or any other 16-20 hp hydro tractor) and merge it with a xxx-8 tractor with the 1 1/8" axles making it a manual version, but a 312-8 dedicated to the tiller will serve you just fine, I only had the one 520H for years so it was my 4 season all around machine then I bought a 315-8 and yes it did so much better with the tiller as it "resisted" being pushed by the tiller vs the hydro and had more than enough power to run it, and wasn't too bad to lift either. Hydro is the way better option with the snow blower never the wrong gear for that. Just something to ponder.

Good point.  This is my 1st Wheel Horse.  I was hoping the 520-8 still had hydraulic or electric lift.  Lifting those snow blowers manually is not fun.  

WVHillbilly520H
5 minutes ago, Lcarter114 said:

Good point.  This is my 1st Wheel Horse.  I was hoping the 520-8 still had hydraulic or electric lift.  Lifting those snow blowers manually is not fun.  

You can get an electric lift for the manual tractors kinda scarce to find and usually pricey, no hydraulics on the manual unless you get a separate hy pump that runs off the PTO.

DennisThornton
10 minutes ago, Lcarter114 said:

Blowers are heavy, blades are not.  I try to match attachment to the tractors abilities.

I haven't done it but I've read a bit about adding a helper spring for lifting the heavy stuff.

Lcarter114
23 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

Blowers are heavy, blades are not.  I try to match attachment to the tractors abilities.

I haven't done it but I've read a bit about adding a helper spring for lifting the heavy stuff.

There is a helper spring that works with both the tiller and snowblower for mine.  Probably not needed but I put it on anyway just to take some load off the hydraulic lift.

• Like 1