henryswheelhorsegarage

wheel horse wiring

henryswheelhorsegarage

I have a 312-8 that will start with the key but will not stop by the key. the plug that goes the tractor to the engine has to be unpluged for it to get fire to start. If i plug it in it has not fire. 

any help i can get would be great. thanks

Lee1977
4 hours ago, henryswheelhorsegarage said:

I have a 312-8 that will start with the key but will not stop by the key. the plug that goes the tractor to the engine has to be unpluged for it to get fire to start. If i plug it in it has not fire. 

Could be the wrong switch or a worn out  switch as the Magnum engine the key switch has to be grounded to shut off the engine. The ground wire from the magneto could be unhooked or broken or a bad plug connection.

There is a extra lug on those switches that is grounded to the switch case that shuts down the engine.

Some one will post the wiring diagram so you can check it out. I'm not good a posting wiring links. 

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 1

gwest_ca

The tractor model number or engine numbers are needed to get the correct wiring diagram. Two different ignition switches used and wired about 3-4 different ways depending on the model year.

Garry

• Like 1

953 nut
9 hours ago, henryswheelhorsegarage said:

:confusion-confused:     Have you checked the engine oil lately?   Most 312s have a low oil switch that is designed to prevent you from starting the engine without sufficient oil level.

As Garry said the model number will get us to the proper wiring diagram.

• Like 2

henryswheelhorsegarage

1989 is the year and the oil level is great. thanks for the help

gwest_ca

KAA 1973

Two weeks ago I started my 89 312 and when I shut it off it stayed running. I turned the key back and forth a few times

and it finally shut off. Ordered a new $12 key switch from Amazon and it works like new.

This is the exact one I bought

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001OK4LGE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by KAA 1973

henryswheelhorsegarage

thanks KAA 1973, i order the switch and it worked great.