Dave stanke

Onan rebuild

Dave stanke

I was putting new rings in my p216 onan and managed to slightly bend the bottom ring but was still able to get it installed. I’m wondering if it will be ok or should I get another set of rings and give it another try? 

lynnmor

If you can’t straighten it to be exactly like the new one, don’t take a chance.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

oliver2-44

:text-welcomeconfetti:

SPINJIM

Replacing Onan rings is a big job, and rings are relatively cheap.  Don't take a chance on having to do the job over.

Jim

• Excellent 1

onanparts.com
3 hours ago, Dave stanke said:

I was putting new rings in my p216 onan and managed to slightly bend the bottom ring but was still able to get it installed. I’m wondering if it will be ok or should I get another set of rings and give it another try? 

Hi Dave,

Assume it's one of the oil ring rails you bent? 3rd groove down? If so, I may have one in our ring orphan box so you don't have to buy another full set.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 6

Dave stanke
13 hours ago, onanparts.com said:

Hi Dave,

Assume it's one of the oil ring rails you bent? 3rd groove down? If so, I may have one in our ring orphan box so you don't have to buy another full set.

Yes that’s what it is the other ones are fine I got them from Onan part .com along with all the gaskets and seals. I have no way of getting ahold of you and I didn’t see a phone number on the onan.com website

Edited by Dave stanke
  • Like 1

onanparts.com
15 hours ago, Dave stanke said:

Yes that’s what it is the other ones are fine I got them from Onan part .com along with all the gaskets and seals. I have no way of getting ahold of you and I didn’t see a phone number on the onan.com website

contact.JPG

richmondred01
On 3/1/2021 at 11:12 PM, onanparts.com said:

contact.JPG

where have you been?
how about the price you quoted in December?

you never responded to the aforementioned sale for the total rebuild kit. I know myself and several other were interested in the discounted price. 

onanparts.com
On 3/1/2021 at 4:56 AM, Dave stanke said:

1 oil rail ring on it's way to you tomorrow!

• Excellent 1

richmondred01

how about the prices you quoted in December and went silent?

you never responded to the aforementioned sale for the total rebuild kit. I know myself and several other were interested in the discounted price. 

• Like 1

onanparts.com
1 hour ago, richmondred01 said:

how about the prices you quoted in December and went silent?

you never responded to the aforementioned sale for the total rebuild kit. I know myself and several other were interested in the discounted price. 

You appear to be confused. This thread:

Post # 11. Key words in bold: That posting was about the future....

Dec 20th 2020

Our kits were dropped due to very low demand. 2-3 kits per year. We plan to bring the kits back for those who want to reset the clock to zero, period.

Aiming for a cost much lower than $1200.00 but still maintain the all Made in U.S.A. contents. $800.00 would be the goal or close to it.

richmondred01
1 hour ago, onanparts.com said:

You appear to be confused. This thread:

Post # 11. Key words in bold: That posting was about the future....

Dec 20th 2020

Our kits were dropped due to very low demand. 2-3 kits per year. We plan to bring the kits back for those who want to reset the clock to zero, period.

Aiming for a cost much lower than $1200.00 but still maintain the all Made in U.S.A. contents. $800.00 would be the goal or close to it.

oh ok “in the future” sounds like the double speak to me but hey I’m just a country boy. 
It depends on “what the definition of is is” 

Got it Thanks for clearing that up.....

Edited by richmondred01

Reelhorsenut

I didn't bend a ring recently...I busted it good! cast iron rings bend just so far...then snap!  The thread mentioned here about kits is what caught my attention over the holidays. Did a full teardown and inspected everything on a P216 last month. They were right, onanparts, when they said most engines won't need every part changed. My guides and valves are in spec, crank was too and only got polished. oil pump looked ok but i got a rebuild kit for it anyway. piston grooves are right at the edge so new STD ones were on the short list. cam looks like new. just put in an order with onanparts.com a few days ago, was a hair under $500.00 to get the motor back to tip top shape. no shortcuts taken, so $1200 or even $800 would have been wasting good coin!